Chapter Seven

P.S. - TRIGGER WARNING!               

                              *Jerome's P.O.V.*

    "It's Mitch!" I said to Ty before answering the call. "Biggums?" was all that I could say at the time. My mind was racing with so many possibilities  to the reason he was calling me, the main one being that he had remembered me. I almost didn't catch what he said because I was so lost in my thoughts. "Hey, um, Jerome? Do you mind coming back up to the hospital? They said that I could leave and I need a ride," he said, my heart skipping a beat when he said my name. There was just something about the way he said my name that made me fall in love with him a little more every time.

    "Of course. I'll be there soon!" I said, barely hiding my excitement. I hung up and spun around, holding my phone to my chest. Ty walked up to me and I gave him a huge hug. "He remembers me!" I said happily and skipped out of my room. I went down the stairs and skipped through the living room, paying no attention to the strange looks the others gave me. I grabbed my coat, threw it on, and, as I left the TC house, I yelled, "He remembers me!"

                         *    *    *    *   

    I parked my car in front of the hospital, pulling my keys out of the ignition. I took a deep breath and got out of my car. I walked into the building nervously. Then, I saw my little Benja. He was standing there, and, when our eyes met, he gave me that lopsided grin of his. Once again, my heart skipped a beat. "H-hey Biggums," I stuttered, taking a few steps towards him. "Hey, dood. You ready to go?" he asked me. I nodded my head and he slowly made his way over to me. "Sorry I'm going so slow. I'm afraid that if I misstep or something, I'll hurt my fracture rib," he laughed a little, his hand resting on his side.

    "It's fine," I said and walked over to his side. I put my arms around him for support and guided him back to my car. It was awesome, having my arm around him and all. The best part was that it wasn't awkward for either of us. If only this could happen everyday...

    I helped him into the passenger seat of my car. He winced a little as he bent down to get inside, and I hurt a little. I didn't want to see my beautiful Benja hurt in any way.

    Once he was settled, I climbed into the driver seat and started the car. I drove the car out of the parking lot and made my way back to the TC house. Then, out of the blue, Mitch asked, "Why are you wearing a coat in this weather? It's like, over 90 degrees!" Oh no. Why did he have to ask me that?!

    "Um, I just wanted to wear it," I said a bit too uncertainly. Mitch gave me an unbelieving look and I sighed. I pulled into a parking lot and stopped the car. I turned to him and rolled up my sleeves. I closed my eyes and looked away, not wanting to see his hurt expression. I heard him gasp and say, "Jerome, what cause you to do this?"

                           *Mitch's P.O.V.*

    He rolled up his sleeves and showed me his still fresh cuts. I gasped at this sight and said, "Jerome, what caused you to do this?" His eyes were squeezed shut, you could tell he was holding back tears. "Mitch, I did this because I love someone so much that my heart skips a beat every time they smile or say my name. But, I know that they won't love me the same way because they are in love with someone else," he said, barely aubible.

    "Oh, Jerome. It's okay," I said, patting his shoulder. This simple gesture shot pain right through my side, but I would go through this just to be there for him. He hid his cuts and started the car back up. I thought I heard him mumble something about love, but I couldn't quite hear him. I let it go and looked out the window, enjoying the silence.

    Then, another memory came back to me. As it played like a movie in my head, I started to relive it as well as see it.

                          *Memory Begins*

    "Jerome, I miss him too, but there's no need to cut," I said, embracing him in a hug. I was standing in his house. He had mutliple cuts lining both wrists, all of them bleeding. "I don't want to leave him," Jerome said, crying into my shoulder.

    I took him to arm's length and said, staring into his brown eyes, "He would want you to carry on. He's your guardian angel now." He nodded his head and I said, "Promise me you won't cut about him again." He crossed his heart and gave me a weak smile. And I smiled back.

                            *Memory Ends*

    I looked over at him. He was staring at straight ahead, focusing on driving. He has cut before. And I stopped him. I smiled. We were more than best friends; we had been through a lot together.

    Then, everything about him rushed back to me. Many locks had been unlocked in my head just from a simple thought. I now knew everything about my best friend, like how we've known each other since 4th grade or how his birthday was six days after mine. It was nice.

    I was suddenly dog tired, so leaned my head against the window. I took Jerome's hand in mine and squeezed it. He looked over at me. "I remember you, Biggums," I whispered to him. I closed my eyes and fell asleep to the gentle humming of the car's engine.