Chapter 5

But in the end, they all drift away

But in the end, they all drift away. // Even the ones who promised to stay.

You woke up the next morning, feeling as empty as you felt the day after Tom told you to leave him alone. The feeling of his arms around you, the feeling of him pressing his lips on top of your hair and the feeling of Tom being close to you made your heart ache, because you knew that it had been a one time thing - a mistake. A mistake - something you already regretted.

Unlocking your phone you saw that there were two messages from Jack, asking if you could meet up and that he was sorry for how he had behaved the night before. To your surprise there was another message, it was Harrison asking if Tom brought you home safe. Closing your eyes, the realization hit you. Of course he didn't drive you home because he wanted to, he had asked you to drive you home because Harrison asked him to and of course he did what his best friend told him to do. Stupid you actually thought he still cared about you.

That day you swore to yourself to forget Tom, to never cry another tear for him and to never think back to what the two of you could have had and to only look forward. To look forward to a new beginning, a life without Tom and with Jack.

You texted Jack that you were going to pick him up, so the two of you could get his car and then grab some dinner. He told you how incredibly sorry he was about was he said and especially about starting to drink.

You didn't mention that Tom drove you home, you wanted to, but something inside of you wanted to keep the memories of the night hidden away in the darkest corner of your heart. You couldn't tell Jack that you spent the night crying in Tom's arms. The boy knew about your friendship with Tom, but you never told him any details about why the two of you had stopped talking - mostly because you couldn't handle talking about it.

Almost three weeks passed without seeing or hearing anything from Tom, confirming what you already knew - that night had never happened for him and he wanted you out of his life again. You might have sworn to yourself to stop thinking about him, but it was harder than you thought it would be. You were fine when you were out with friends or when you were with Jack, but as soon as the door to your room closed, Tom's face appeared in your thoughts.

Not being able to keep him out of your head drove you crazy, which was probably the reason you were lying in bed on a friday night, watching Love, Rosie. A movie you had grown to love when everything fell apart, wondering if this was how it was going to be for Tom and you. Always missing each other, never admitting your feelings and watching each other get married to the wrong person.

But your life wasn't a movie, you didn't have a child and Tom and you weren't even friends anymore.

Jack was out at a party again, something James Bond themed or whatever. He had asked you to tag along but remembering the events from your last night out you decided to stay home. You had offered to pick up him whenever he wanted to go home since you would probably be staying up until late in the night watching movies and thinking about life.