Chapter 12

But in the end, they all drift away

But in the end, they all drift away. // Even the ones who promised to stay.

"Thanks, Tommy." You whispered as you tightened your grip around Tom, not ready to let him go yet. He may have hurt you like no one else ever did, but you haven't felt that safe in a long time.

Tom was your safe haven.

The two of you stood in the same place for a few more minutes, just enjoying being close to each other again. Tom listened to your breathing as it slowly calmed down again. You let the last few tears roll down your cheeks as you soaked his shirt even more. By leaving soft and feathery kisses on top of your head, Tom had managed to get a few positive emotions to float through your brain again.

Harrison came back after he had told your families about what happened, not bothering to let out any details. The blonde boy wanted to make sure that this guy never came back and that your family knew how bad he was treating you. There wasn't going to be an apology good enough for your father to let this boy walked through your front door again - and you didn't mind one bit. You were going to get over him. You managed to live without Tom for three years, so you sure as hell would manage without Jack.

"(Y/N)" You heard Harrison say, making you free yourself from Tom's arms to pull the blue eyed boy into a hug.

"Thanks Harrison. You didn't have to do that." You smiled as you left his hug.

"Oh, yeah I did, see, I just punched him a bit. Little Thomas over there would've probably tried to actually kill him, we both know how protective this guy can get." Harrison laughed as Tom rolled his eyes, a small blush creeping onto his face.

"You should probably put some ice on that, Champ." You grinned as you touched the sore skin on Harrison's hand.

"Champ, huh? I'll take it. It took a punch in your ex boyfriends face for you to finally give me a cool nickname?" Harrison laughed as he threw an arm around you to pull you into his side.

"I have a lot of cool nicknames for you!" You protested, fully knowing you didn't.

"Drunk, Idiot and Stupid do not count!"

"Don't forget Dumbass and Div." Tom chimed in, making you burst out with laughter.

Tom felt his heart warm by just hearing your laugh. He loved your laugh and in that moment he swore to himself that he was never again going to be the guy to make you cry. He wanted to be the one to make you smile. He wanted to be the one to make you laugh whenever you were feeling down. He wanted to be the one to make you happy.

"I hate both of you." Harrison shook his head, but he couldn't be happier about the fact that you and Tom were on the road to friendship - or more - again. And this time, Harrison was going to be the one to make sure that his two oblivious best friends admit their feelings. He wasn't going to take any more bullshit from the two of you about not being good together or about being too scared, because now the two of you knew that it was definitely worse to be apart than to be together.