Chapter 10

But in the end, they all drift away

But in the end, they all drift away. // Even the ones who promised to stay.

While your mum was still hugging Tom and telling him how happy she was that he finally decided to join you for the party, your brain was still trying to understand why he was here. It not like you weren't happy to see him, but it was some kind of unspoken rule that neither of you went to one of the family dinners ever since you stopped talking.

"Still got a place for me? I hope you don't mind me joining that unexpected?" Tom smiled at your mother before locking eyes with you for a split second.

"Oh, nonsense Tom, you know you're always welcome here." She smiled at him and pulled him into another hug. She was definitely waiting for the moment the two of your started talking again because you could've sworn she winked at you when she turned around to walk back towards the backyard, leaving you alone with Tom.

"Hi." The boy in front of you smiled, not sure whether or not you'd respond to anything he was going to say or do. After talking to Harrison he knew that he had to somehow fix your friendship and he thought that being there at the family dinners and being there for you in different situations in your life would maybe make you trust him again. No matter what, Tom was willing to try.

"Hey, come in." You said, returning the smile.

"I - I hope it's alright I'm here. I mean, I can leave, like - I - I know you said, you never wanted to see me again, a-and that I should leave you alone, but-" Tom started rambling, before you cut him off with a little laugh that escaped your mouth. He always started to ramble when he was nervous and you still thought it was adorable when he did it.

"No, no, come in, please. It's fine."

"Really?" To say he was surprised by your answer was an understatement. He didn't know what he expected when he walked over to your front door, but he definitely didn't expect you telling him that it was fine for you if he joined you.

"I'm pretty sure my mum would be pretty disappointed if you left." You couldn't help yourself but smile when you thought about the happiness on your mum's face when she saw Tom.

Your parents knew something had happened between you two, obviously, but they didn't know any details and they were being kind enough to not ask any further questions because they knew Tom was a sensible topic and they knew you were still not over it. You didn't know what Tom told his parents, but the fact that not even Harrison knew what was going on in Tom's head at that time made you think that they knew just as much as your own parents.

Tom followed you into the garden, making the mouths of his brother's drop when they saw him appear behind you. Seeing you next to Tom was something they hadn't expected to ever see again. Jack on the other hand didn't seem very happy about the fact that Tom showed up. Funnily enough, you hadn't even thought about Jack's reaction to Tom being there until you saw him walk over to you, only seconds after Tom had joined his brothers.