Chapter 47: Sorry [/]

"Oh my gosh, he's awake," Sylvia uttered

"Oh my gosh, he's awake," Sylvia uttered. She stood up from her chair too fast that she forgot Joel was sleeping on her shoulder.

The boy immediately woke up, startled. But when he saw Christopher had woken, he walked to the sofa and shook Erick up.

They all watched as Christopher slowly blinked his eyes several times, letting his blurry vision settle on the pale white atmosphere they were in. He straightened, looking down at the needles inserted in his hands and an intravenous drip attached to one of it.

Joel stepped forward, drapping the falling white sheets over the bottom half of his friend's body. Christopher looked even paler in a spotted hospital gown.

"Anaeya?" It was the first thing that came up to Christopher.

Joel shook his head as Erick joined his side. Christopher widened at the sight of the youngest boy.

Erick had his right arm bandaged and supported with an arm sling.

"She just left," Sylvia said, approaching the bed. The girl unlocked her phone and showed Christopher her recent message. Anaeya had asked if they wanted any candy. "She went to buy some stuff a couple minutes ago. Should I get the doctor?"

Christopher shook his head.

"Bro, what happened to you?" Erick murmured groggily. He seemed concern, like a younger brother would. But after what happened to Christopher, anyone would have queued up to question his reckless actions.

"Syl, could you leave me, Joel and Erick for a bit?" Christopher asked, coughing. "I need to talk to them."

Sylvia nodded, respecting his request for privacy. Joel followed her, telling Christopher that he would join in a bit after he had some coffee.

The door closed and the two watched from the glass pane as Christopher launched into a long explanation.

"Do you think he will be okay?" Sylvia questioned, elbowing him. Joel gave her a sad smile and a shrug. Then, his eyes shifted somewhere else.

She whirled around, following his line of sight towards the vacant blue seats. Placed right on top of it were a tray with several cups of coffee and snacks.

Sylvia's phone chirped, implying a new notification. She opened it and saw the text. Joel being taller than her, effortlessly looked from over her shoulder.

Coffee outside the room. Forgot to get my change. Be back soon.

"Sylvia. Its Ana, isn't it?" Joel asked, squeezing her shoulder.

She nodded. "I don't understand why all if this is happening but something tells me that she's doing all of this because of -" she trailed off, glancing at Christopher whom was talking with Erick. "Nevermind."

Joel hummed in response, understanding because he was there when it all happened.

He remembered standing at the bloodied threshold of her apartment when Anaeya ran into trouble that had a wicked smile. It was a painful memory that he hoped to forget.