Chapter 35: Cigarette [/]

Anaeya studied his movements, maintaining a distance away from the rink

Anaeya studied his movements, maintaining a distance away from the rink. She had woken up alone in the dead of night feeling cold all over.

Christopher was no where in sight or scent.

She searched for her phone everywhere and found it on the kitchen counter where she had accidentally left earlier. There was a note tucked beneath it.

Joel had left a note, saying that Zabdiel had returned and helped put Dayana to bed.

Something punched her in the gut as she stared suspiciously at the screen of her phone, prompting her to unlock it. She checked, expecting none other than dreadful notification but was left stunned instead.

Her inbox was clear.

No threatening messages.

No unknown numbers.

But it didn't wash away the growing concern churning in the pits of her stomach. After she had spent half an hour throwing up in the toilet, Anaeya had tried calling for Christopher but it was unavailable.

Now, she knew why.

He grinned, showing off his skills on the neon pink skateboard. The crowd of teenagers - mostly, the girls - cheered. The board flipped perfectly as he jumped and landed on it like an expert.

Everyone hooted as a teenage girl in black hoodie stepped forward, a lit cigarette in between her ringed fingers. She blew an O-shaped cloud in his face before putting the cigarette in his hand.

He smiled at her, lifting the cigarette to his mouth as she examined his arm with her fingers. Her fingers curled around his wrist where his bracelet was and pulled it out, admiring the intricate handiwork.

Anaeya wasn't sure when she had moved forward but she shouldered past the crowd and stood in between them. She came face to face with Christopher, their eyes a level.

"What are you doing?" she snapped. Her hand shot out to snatch the cigarette from his hand. Anaeya threw it onto the ground and stepped on it with the bedroom slippers she had hastily put on.

"Ana, wh-"

"It hurts to see you doing this," she scolded. She kept smacking his arm as though she wanted to clean off the girl's disgusting touch on him. "Christopher Bryant Velez Munoz! What are you doing? Why are you hurting yourself?! Why?"

He widened his eyes, sucking in a breath as tears began to spill down her face. He instinctively put his arms around in an attempt to comfort her.

Instead, she lightly pushed him away and stepped back. Anaeya wiped the tears with the back of her hand, whimpering, "No. There are people here. We.. we shouldn't."