Chapter 33: Wound [/]

"If you are okay with it, Dayana can stay with my parents for a bit," Yashua offered, slowing down as the car turned into the neighbourhood

"If you are okay with it, Dayana can stay with my parents for a bit," Yashua offered, slowing down as the car turned into the neighbourhood. "My friend's apartment is empty. It isn't big but you can stay there with Rayna."

Christopher caught the other boy looking at him through the rearview mirror before turning his head to look out of the window.

There were many people out in the evening. Some were jogging along the sidewalk while others had just returned from their daily obligations. Everyone seemed busy with their lives.

None of them had stopped to acknowledge the glowing clouds in the sky as it caught the last rays of the orange sun or the tiny blots of stars pinned on the dark sky as night fell over the bustling city.

Just like how no one offered to assist Anaeya when she was screaming until her throat ran dry. It instantly struck him like a lightning bolt, that for once, he could not do much but watch helplessly as Anaeya hugged the bewildered child.

For the first time, he could not protect her or defend her. Just as Yasmine had warned him, he wasn't enough for Anaeya.

He flinched at the thought.

The girl hesitated. "Thank you but is it okay if I have some time to think about it first? I need to talk to my sisters."

"I understand," Yashua replied, smiling at her through the rearview mirror. "Take your time, as long as you need. I will be in town for quite some time." The car parked on the driveway.

"I'll be right back," she said to Christopher, leaving the car. Without looking at her, he nodded. He heard her unlock the door with her keys and went in.

"I need some fresh air," he sighed, getting out of the car. He closed the door and leaned against it, shutting his eyes. The boy could no longer stand the suffocation and the complete silence.

A car door clicked open and slammed shut, then footsteps closed in on him. A hand landed on his shoulder, squeezing. He opened his eyes to meet sympathetic ones.

"Gracias, Yashua," Christopher murmured, finally regaining the strength to speak again. He cleared his throat. "It was kind of you to help her even after what nearly happened. After what nearly happened to Aaliyah, I should have wat-"

"Hermano," the other boy cut him off. "Nothing serious happened to Aaliyah. Just some scratches. Surely, Richard would freak out but she is fine. But I wouldn't say the same for you." He crossed his arms and tilted his head towards the apartment. "And her, especially."

"She's traumatized," Christopher said, playing with the sea glass bracelet on his wrist. It had been a gift from her, a memoir of her mother.