Chapter 29: Dreams [/]

Anaeya was carrying a box of spare microphone parts when a hand shot out from the backstage closet and yanked her in

Anaeya was carrying a box of spare microphone parts when a hand shot out from the backstage closet and yanked her in. The door closed shut and the lightbulb lit up in the dim narrow space, dark eyes regarded her with relief.

"Syl, what are you doing here?" Anaeya said, putting the box on a nearby shelf. Sylvia put a finger to her mouth, gesturing her to stay silent as a shadow fleeted from below the door.

"You can come by later," a feminine voice said. Anaeya quirked an eyebrow at Sylvia's pained expression. "My hotel has a minibar and an indoor pool. We should spend some time together."

"Thanks." It was Joel. He hesitated. "But, the boys, we need to practice the new dance this evening. Clara had already booked a studio and the choreographer will help with some touch ups."

Anaeya frowned. There were no such arrangements made for said practice. In her knowledge, their schedules were clear for the evening. What was Joel even talking about?

"We could hit the gym," the girl suggested. "There are treadmills and you could also lift weights. "

"Maybe next time, Emilia," Joel murmured. Anaeya could hear the exhaustion in his voice. She could not blame him but the soundchecks were really tiring for everyone. "Thanks for checking in on me but you should head back to your hotel now. I'll text you back when I'm free."

"Oh, okay," the girl said. Her voice laced with a layer of disappointment. The two girl let out a breath of relief as the voices and footsteps receded.

"Syl, why are we hiding in a storage closet?" Anaeya whispered.

Her friend winced, "I know it isn't an ideal hiding place." Sylvia sighed as Anaeya urged her. "I'm avoiding Joel."

"I thought you like him," she replied, feeling incredulous. She didn't know why but the thought of hiding in such a place discussing her friend's love life seemed absurd. "Does he like you?"

"That's the thing," Sylvia muttered, biting her cheek. She was flustered, her hands were flying everywhere. It was a miracle that it had not crashed into anything. Yet. "He isn't sure himself."

"He told you that himself?"

"No," Sylvia crossed her arms. "No, I just know it. He's been asking life advices from me like I'm some wise guru of the west."

"Well, wise guru of the west," Anaeya murmured. Her friend glared at the new nickname. "Perhaps you're not too sure yourself. Assumptions are not a certain thing. You should just ask him. Whether or not your feelings will be reciprocated will depend on his answer and if you two can figure something out."

"I don't think so," Sylvia whispered, shrugging. "I only need to avoid him for another week or so. Eventually he will get the gist of it and it will be easier on us both."

Anaeya eyes travelled down to her shoes, comprehending. There was a meeting that afternoon to discuss what they were going to do next. She didn't attend it because Charlotte had sent someone to get more measurements and try different colored fabrics on her.