Chapter 40: Maze [/]

It wasn't until his feet touched solid ground did Christopher realized that Joel's pocket was glowing like a matchstick

It wasn't until his feet touched solid ground did Christopher realized that Joel's pocket was glowing like a matchstick. He gestured at it.

Joel looked at his flannel in shock, taking out the glowing card. He waved it to gain the others' attention. They all gathered around him.

"Welcome," Erick said, squinting his eye. "To Kidnap!"

"Wait a minute!" Joel said, looking at Christopher. The light from the room above casting just enough light for them to see each other. "Isn't that An-"

"Welcome to Kidnap!" a mechanical voice said. They heard a generator being switched on and a string of LED lights on both sides of the tunnel lit up their path. A panel lined with the same lights suddenly popped open, releasing a vapour of dry ice. "Press start when ready."

"Que?" Zabdiel questioned, scratching his head. "What is that suppose to mean?"

Joel shrugged, opening the panel. There were a five parcel with their names printed on each. He started handing them out and they saw a red glowing button behind it.

"What is this?" Richard said. He tore it open and something fell onto the ground. Joel picked it up.

"White shirts?"

"And pants," Richard added. He pulled out the other contents, sounding excited. "Armoury vests and knee guards. I'm starting to not mind being tackled."

"This es cool," Erick said, already putting the clothes on. He tapped at the microphone on his breast pocket.

Everyone began undressing. The clothes that they wore were shoved back into the parcel and placed back into the panel box.

"Encontre esto," Zabdiel said. He opened his fist to reveal five earpieces that he had found in his parcel. They each put it on and waited as Richard struggled with his vest.

Christopher stood next to Joel, watching as Erick and Zabdiel helped their friend. He elbowed Joel in the arm, and said, "Do you think there's a cha-"

Joel turned his head to him, his serious expression silencing Christopher. "The last time I was here, it was because Sylvia went missing. If there were any kind souls in this universe, Ana would be the kindest of them. Chris, Ana still loves you. So, if there's a chance that she will have you back, I'm certain of it."

"Thank you, Jo-"

Suddenly, alarms blared and the LED lights flickered in red and orange.

"What did you do?"

Richard cursed, shoving the panel close. "It's not my fault! I accidentally hit the button."

"We should run," Zabdiel said, eyes wide as he lifted a boot. The sole was slimy with goo as more started to seep through the walls of the tunnel.

He led the way, the rest of them followed in pursuit through the curving tunnel. It started to narrow until they had to crawl on fours, their hands and legs icky with goo.