× Chapter 8 - Entangled In Roots ×

by @tt10500

Cause today, that was yesterday and yesterday is over

It's a different day, sound like broken records playing over

My mind shot into pieces. I was unclear to how I felt myself. I distracted myself from constantly thinking that I liked him and he had said nothing. 

"Well if it's too awkward for you we can stay as friends," I shrugged while texting. "But you like someone...right?"

"No, you got the wrong idea," he spilled. "I don't like someone else. I think you're..."

"You're what?" I asked.

"Cute." he texted back. "I want us to get closer first though."

Oh. This was totally unexpected. 

"Yeah?" I asked, then answered my own question. "Oh, yeah..."

The next day I was at school looking at the sport notices with Youjung. As we were heading down the corridor of the block, I could see Jinyoung passing through. I tried running away, but there was nothing I could do as he had already seen me, and was heading for my direction. He waved and I looked down on the floor. 

He suddenly stroked my hair two times while passing by. It wasn't rough- it was gentle. I looked up and behind. He had already walked back. What did it mean? Either way I didn't want to think about it. It would just confuse me. 

"Youjung did you see that?" I asked her. 

"No, see what?" she said.

"The pat?" I asked. "Or was that just me?"

"Umm...just you I think?" she replied. She sighed and laughed. "What are you even talking about?"

"Nothing," I said. "Nevermind."

I looked behind me and Jinyoung had disappeared long gone.

"Oh, also I need to tell you something," Youjung suddenly popped up. Jina came by and Youjung nodded at her. 

"So..." Youjung started off. 

"Youjung has a boyfriend," Jina cut her off. 

Youjung. Had a boyfriend. Before us?? She hadn't spoken a word about her love life!

"You're not serious are you?" I asked. "How? Who???"

She explained it to us all recess. Her boyfriend was in a grade above, and also went to Clemente Secondary. They had both met at church and became close friends for around half a year. No wonder he would try finding her everyday. Youjung kept convincing me that they were like brother and sister, so I didn't take much effort to think they would like each other. 

It was her birthday a few days ago and they had both gone to the shops, near her house. He then walked her to her house, and confessed. On her birthday, in real life. Let me repeat, ON HER BIRTHDAY, IN REAL LIFE AND IN FRONT OF HER HOUSE. Who couldn't have thought of a better setting? It turned out she had liked him too, keeping it a secret from all of us. As soon as she heard the words "I like you Youjung" she immediately hugged him and said the same back. 

I was hurt and jealous. She didn't have to do anything to be liked. She had gotten everything. That was when I realised I wasn't the first lead of this kdrama- like life anymore. I was nothing but a mere second lead, always struggling to find what my purpose was, and constantly ruined. She had it- the perfect confession, at the right time. 

I wasn't jealous because she got a boyfriend- but rather because she didn't take any effort. It had come to her so naturally, when I didn't receive any sort of clear answer when I had confessed. I decided not to trust my friends' word anymore, and just not invest in this so called chaotic mess called 'love'. I bit my gum and smiled. 

"I'm happy for you," I lied. "Congratulations."

She smiled back. I decided not to tell her about how I confessed and how it went badly. 

"So..." she nudged me. "How did you and *ahem* *ahem* go?"

"Oh um I," I started off again. "I haven't confessed. Don't worry."

She sighed and shook her head, but she didn't know what was happening in my life. I went myself to check the sports schedule this time. I was put in tennis. As I scanned down the list of my sport, I recognised a name. Jung Jinyoung.