5. Everything Has Changed

Finally being back at her two bedroom apartment at The Legacy was a blessing to say the least. Last night she had spent the majority of the evening being pampered for today's classes while her mother criticized the clothes she'd decided to bring with her. When Florence had arrived early this morning she had done a lucky jog around her apartment to make sure everything was in order, which it was. It didn't take long for her best friend Grace to text her that she was coming over for breakfast. This would be a perfect time for Florence to give Grace the info on her newest friend addition: Eric.

"Oh honey, I'm home," a loud but sweet voice sang out. "Where are you?"

"I'm in my bedroom, Grace, I still haven't unpacked." Florence called out and ditched her unpacked suitcases to greet her best friend.

Before she'd exited her bedroom Grace bolted into the room and threw herself into the arms of her much missed best friend. Florence met Grace Freshman year of college and was immediately drawn to her sassy personality. The first time Florence saw her Grace was yelling at another student for commenting on her cleavage and after that they had been thick as thieves.

"I've missed your ugly face!" Grace announces when she releases Florence from her tight grip.

Florence notices that something about Grace has changed. Her long hair looked thicker than ever and she was wearing a gorgeous off the shoulder blouse – something she normally never wears. Grace loves her jeans both long and short versions, a normal t-shirt and one of her many long sleeved cardigans; but apparently much can change during a summer.

"What's with the new style? I've never seen you in a top like that before." Florence asked while they walked out to the combining living room and kitchen.

"My mother had this made while we were in Dubai; I liked it so I thought I'd wear it for our first day. What do you think?" She spun around and walked an imaginary catwalk.

"You look beautiful, but you always look beautiful." Florence said and started bringing out eggs, bacon and fruit.

One of the many perks of having a family with money was that she never had to worry about an empty fridge. While she had spent last night with her mother their housekeeper had stocked her fridge and made sure all her favorite amenities where there.

"Catch me up on your summer vacation, I feel like we haven't talked that much!" Florence said and started cutting strawberries while Grace handled the eggs.

"Mostly a bunch of red carpet events, fancy dinners and my mother and father trying to fix me up with their friend's son."

"Oh really? Is he cute?"

"That doesn't matter; I've known him since birth and he still bites his nails, like down to the skin, not my type at all."

Florence laughs and shakes her head. For a moment there's just silence between them while they cook but Grace changes that when she clears her throat and taps Florence shoulder.

"Tell me about your summer now!"

"Okay," Florence starts and turns to her friend who instantly knows there's gossip to be shared. After finally sharing everything about the young woman in the coffee shop, her texts with Eric and how they decided to send each other picture's tonight she bites her lip from nervousness, "Do you think I'm making a mistake?"

Grace laughs and shakes her head nonchalantly. It was rare of Grace to object to any decisions Florence made and she was happy to see that hadn't changed over the summer.

"As long as you know he isn't cat fishing you I don't see any problems with it. You don't think he is doing that, right?"

"No I don't. Strangely enough I feel myself beginning to really trust this guy."

Florence swept her hair over to one side and nodded. Before meeting Eric she was excited about her senior year of college and her first day of it, but now all she could think about was honoring their deal tonight and how they would each react actually seeing each other. What if he was an ugly troll? Would she still want to be friends with him? Did it make her shallow if the answer was no? 

*

Are you ready?

Eric glanced at his phone and saw that Florence had texted him minutes ago. He released a shaky breath and nodded. Let's do this, he thought.

Ready as I'll ever be. Who goes first?

I think we should both go at the same time. Don't you?

I agree. Just one more thing,

Can we promise nothing will change after this? That we will still be friends...

I promise.

I'm really nervous...

I am nervous as well...but nothing will change so this doesn't affect anything.

Okay, let's do this and stop stalling.

I need to explain, the picture I took was at my parent's house earlier today. But the date, time and my name are all still there.

After staring painfully long at the three dots at the bottom of the screen Florence sent another text.

I took my picture earlier as well, but I stayed true to our deal too.

Now that we've both explained we should get on and do this...

I had to convince my mother to take the picture and she was very suspicious to why I needed to hold a note with today's date, time and my own name

I made a very distasteful kidnapping joke that she did not appreciate.

Please text me back...

You're not a complete troll...

Wow...thanks?

I'm kidding! You look great in this picture, Eric!

...and I hope that joke didn't scar your mother for life.

I guess this means it's my turn...

The only reason I'm wearing a robe is because I had slobbered all over my own clothes and I was wearing my sweats

The only reason I'm wearing a robe is because I had slobbered all over my own clothes and I was wearing my sweats...sweats that makes me look like an idiot.

Hey, where did you go?

I tried to look like a troll on purpose so you can't fault me!

I thought you said nothing would change between us...guess I was wrong.