24. Favor for a Friend

"I thought you only invited a few people, this is far more than a few." A nervous Adam hissed backstage.

Florence shrugged her shoulders and wanted to say that 20 people weren't that many, compared to the 10 they had initially invited, but she kept silent. She didn't have the energy to bicker with Adam tonight; she had a lot on her mind. Her last conversation with Eric had played in her mind since the second she'd hung up on him and the empty void it had left in her had begun growing larger.

They didn't text or call each other anymore, but that's the way she had wanted it - right? Well, not necessarily but she needed it, if she was ever going to get over him. But despite trying to stay away from Eric Richman it didn't stop Anna Richman, his younger sister, from attending. They were using her music after all.

"Is everything in order back here?" One of the sound technicians asked to which Florence nodded and plastered on a smile.

She needed to get back to reality and stop dreaming of something that would never happen.

"Everything is fine here; we're just waiting for everyone to arrive so we can start the showing." She added.

"I'm going to the bathroom before we start, can you keep an eye on things? They need to be--"

"--Perfect, I know, Adam. I got it." Florence filled in and saw him disappear toward the bathrooms.

With a moment to herself she took a few deep breaths and tried on a few of her fake smiles. She should be happy about tonight, they had worked so hard to get this documentary even half-finished for this preview but a rainy cloud still hung over her. Adam had asked her to focus several times during the preparation time and she owed it to him to be present in both body and mind. She cursed under her breaths a few times and decided that for the rest of the evening she would be attentive and the happiest Florence she could pretend to be.

*

A stressed Anna rushed through the crowd with 2 minutes to spare and Florence waved violently until she reached her. They embraced quickly before returning backstage to make the final adjustments before the showing started.

"How are you feeling?" Anna asked her cheerfully when they took a seat on one of the many speakers.

"A bit nervous but excited at the same time and everyone's going to love your music!" Florence reassured Anna, who she could tell was a bit concerned about that.

"I promised Eric I'd give you this before the show," Anna said reluctantly and handed her a white envelope with Florence name written across it.

Her stomach turned and she swallowed a big gulp of air. The last thing she needed right now was to be reminded of Eric and how quickly he'd mugged her off after Jennifer had come back. Instead of reading the letter she placed it in her purse, as far down as possible, and smiled at Anna.

"I'll read it later, right now we have a show to focus on. Come on, let's get out there and give them hell – Adam come on!" It was time to get the show on the road.

The crowd of 20 people all roared when Florence, Adam and Anna walked out on stage and while Adam spoke about the documentary Anna and Florence looked out over the crowd wearing their best smiles. After Adam's speech Florence interjected by introducing Anna and her music that's featured during the first part of the documentary. As the crowd clapped loudly, started by Grace and Chloe, the lights dimmed and the documentary began.

Adam took a seat in the audience while Anna and Florence found themselves by the refreshments.

"Thank you for letting me be a part of this, Florence. I can't tell you how grateful I am to both you and Adam for allowing me to display my work in your documentary."

"Don't mention it, Anna, your music is really good and deserves to be heard. You did this all on your own."

As they embraced Anna relaxed against her body and pulled away slowly. Something was on her mind that much was obvious. Florence could see Eric in Anna, especially in her eyes. It stung that he wasn't here, especially because she knew he wanted to be here for her – but she couldn't be around him until her feelings had passed on.

"I-I wish Eric never opened that door a few nights ago. If he hadn't opened that door maybe things would be different now." Anna mumbled.

"Don't wish that, if your brother is happy with Jennifer you should support him. He supports you while you're over in England kicking ass..." Florence said with a comforting voice.

Anna grabbed her wrist in a soft grip and their eyes locked, "He is in bits over not being here tonight, Florence, he really wished he could've been here to support you."

"Well you're here and I couldn't be happier about that," Florence fought back tears as she thought of Eric.

*

The viewing party had been a success and as Adam and Florence received a standing ovation and thumbs up from their teacher she felt truly proud of herself, no matter what else was going on. The only people left in the room were staff members, Chloe, Grace and the documentary team Florence, Adam and of course Anna. While Chloe, Grace and Adam were finishing off the rest of the refreshments, curtsey of Florence parents, Anna and Florence found themselves alone yet again.

The letter she'd received from Eric, via Anna, was burning a hole in her purse but she wasn't sure she even wanted to read it. She thought staying away from Eric was only going to affect her, seeing as he now had Jennifer to occupy himself with, but maybe it was just as difficult for him. At least it what she wanted to believe.

"A-are you going to read the letter?" As if Anna had read her mind she asked her the question she'd been pondering over.

"I'm not sure yet. Do you know what's in it?"

"No, he told me not to read it, even though I desperately wanted to," Anna said smiling, "I was wondering something..." She continued.

"What?" Florence's frowned and hoped for no surprises.

"I'm going back to England in two weeks and nothing would make me happier than for you to be at my goodbye party," Anna said and Florence opened her mouth to protest but Anna kept going, "I know Eric is going to be there and Jennifer too, but...well my sister Claire hasn't really been the most supportive person regarding my departure and mom and dad are sad about it too – it'd be nice to have someone there who's on my team you know?"

"What about Eric, isn't he on your team?" Florence asked quietly.

"Yes, but he has Jennifer now and she's going to demand all the attention at my party. No one in my family likes having her around but we have to tolerate it for him."

Florence tapped her foot on the ground and felt the increase of her heartbeat. She hadn't planned on seeing Eric for a while, maybe a month or two, but having to see him in 2 weeks with his girlfriend around would be difficult...but Anna's doe eyes were difficult to say no to. She sighed defeated and knew that no matter how badly she needed to stay away from Eric she also had to be there for Anna – she was as much her friend as Eric now.

"You better keep me away from your brother and him away from me, got it?" Florence said as Anna wrapped her in a bear hug nearly squeezing the air out of her.

"I will, I promise! Thank you for doing this, Florence!"

"You owe me big time after this; like front row seats to all of your concert when you become a big star."

Anna laughed and nodded, "Anything for you, Florence, anything."