6. Making It Right

"Are you fucking kidding me, man?"

"He isn't, don't you see the time and date?"

"I'm not kidding; this is the girl I've been texting with."

Eric had invited his friends Travis and Michael out for lunch the next day, it was finally time to tell them about Florence. The second he showed them the picture both Michael and Travis had screamed out of shock.

"So let me get this straight," Travis said after they settled down, "Jennifer dumps you from this girl's phone, you guys start texting and now you have a total hottie on your hands?"

"That sounds like what he just told us, yes." Michael agreed and nodded violently.

"...and on top of that you blew her off too." Michael continued and succeeded in making Eric feel even worse.

"Thanks for making me feel even worse, Mike." He groaned.

"Don't feel bad, make it right instead." Michael said and continued to look at the picture of Florence.

Minutes later Eric snatched the phone to his possession and while his friends were talking amongst themselves Eric began texting Florence, hoping it wasn't too late.

*

I'm sorry for my behavior yesterday. I just got so shocked when you sent your picture that I didn't know how to respond.

I know you're pissed but please...text me back.

After a day without response he tried again.

I'm sorry I hurt you Florence.

You should be.

He perked up and smiled. Even if she was pissed at him he was glad she was at least responding.

I am and I want to make it right, what can I do?

Nothing.

Please?

You made me feel like shit yesterday, like I wasn't good enough to be your friend anymore.

You made everything different. Even though you said it wouldn't be.

I'm so sorry for making you feel that way, Florence. You are my friend and nothing is going to change that.

My looks apparently...

You're joking right?

You couldn't even look ugly if you tried to and there is no troll resemblance in reference to you.

I just didn't expect you to look so beautiful.

You're still not completely forgiven....

Now you are.

This is the only time I'll allow you to make fun of my favorite movie.

Oh sure it is...haha.

Hey, we haven't spoken about you and your ex in a while – how are you doing?

It's getting better each day but I still haven't heard from her. Frankly it's starting to piss me off.

If she came back tomorrow would you be willing to work things out?

Of course I would! I would like an explanation as to why she dumped me, though...

Sometimes a person needs to discover who they are before they can continue or enter a relationship.

I get that but if she had felt that way why didn't she tell me?

One day I got home from work and her bags were packed and minutes later she was gone. All she said was that she needed to do some 'soul searching'.

Yeah that does seem a bit odd. And she acted find before that?

According to me; yes. We were both a little busy with work but we were together every night up and till she left, so I'm confused.

Can I ask you a rather raw and personal question?

Only if I can ask you one later...

Sure you can,

I just wanted to know...how does it feel to truly have your heart broken?

It feels like someone's smacked you right in the head, actually. It may sound strange but I felt it in my heart, the pain, it made me paralyzed for a few moments. Almost like a death of some kind.

That sounds horrible. I wish you didn't have to feel that way at all!

Me too but I'm still clinging by your words that it'll get better. But of course there are moments I just want to lay down and stay in bed for a week.

The whole apartment still smells like her, feels like her and reminds me of her. I don't want to get rid of anything because that would mean that she's truly out of my life.

...and I'm hoping she'll want to come back to me once she's home.

I wish that for you too, Eric.

But I don't want you to put your life on hold while she's out living hers. You deserve to be happy.

I wonder when that's going to be happening though. Because it doesn't feel like it will happen anytime soon.

You don't need to know when, just that it will.

It's my turn to ask you a question now!

Why don't you like your family?

That, my friend, is a long story, a really long and boring one.

I want to hear it regardless!

Okay if I try to make it a short one...

My dad is an investor and that's all he cares about, my mother is your typical Beverly Hills housewife and somewhere in between them I exist. I never really felt a part of my own family but like an audience looking at a life I knew I would've never picked. 

But your mom cooks nice meals for you and 'drags' you to Martha's Vineyard – isn't that caring?

Oh you mean the trip she takes to visit her friends while my father goes golfing with his investment buddies?

And the meals you're referring to are cooked by my parents private chef Ignacio, not by my mother.

I'm like their little pet that they bring along for the ride.

Oh...

Yeah; I bet you're not her biggest fan anymore. Huh?

I wouldn't say that. If you could say one nice thing about her what would that be?

Eric waited for a few minutes, enough time for him to grab a handful of cereal and shove into his mouth. Then the familiar beep from his phone alerted him that Florence was done thinking.

She taught me to go after what I want, even if people judge me for it.

That's a nice start. We'll work on more compliments tomorrow!

Haha, whatever you say Eric.