23.0; late for the date

"you know i can't stay," she cried hoarsely, holding back the tears that dared to spill in an act of betrayal against her will

     "you know i can't stay," she cried hoarsely, holding back the tears that dared to spill in an act of betrayal against her will. "i-it's already so late and i-i'll miss my train."

     she hurriedly began to slip into her leggings that had been discarded on the hardwood floor during their previous activities. she was departing to paris for a long time. possibly forever. it hurt her to leave behind all that was warm and familiar, but she needed to go. she had to. it was the only way to peruse her dreams, she'd already given up too many chances before. nothing, and no one, was going to stop her this time. she was sure of that.

    but it was so hard to leave when his stupid big brown eyes bore into her skin as he watched her figure slip back into her clothes. how he'd miss being able to touch her, to hold and love her whenever he pleased and however he pleased. he wanted to follow her, and he begged her to stay, but they both knew that this was not an option for either of them. it would never work out the way they wanted it to, and in the end both acknowledged it simply was never meant to be.

     "stay here," he begged, rising from the sheets, fumbling over them as he quickly slipped on his trousers and hopped towards her on one leg, "please. don't go."

       "i can't," she whispered tearfully, and in the moonlight she had never looked so beautiful. so angelic and magical, so wonderful and pure. his heart ached for her, and though all she wanted was to leave, she allowed his hands to gently cup her face as the pads of his thumbs swiped over her steadily falling tears.

      "stay," he repeated again, pulling her close to place a kiss on her forehead. "even if for just a few moments longer, please stay."

       she gazed up at her lover as he placed another kiss on her forehead, and then her nose, and soon after her lips. "i-if i don't go now i won't go at all."

      "then don't," he insisted, taking hold of her hands and resting them down against his chest in order for her to feel how rapidly his heart seemed to beat within him.

       "tom," she breathed shakily, trying to pry her hands away from his grasp but to no avail. "y-you promised me... you promised you'd let me go. please. please, i-i can't do this any longer."

        "you don't have to! please! w-we can start anew. i-i'll give up my acting, i'll give up the career. let me run away with you, y/n, please, i love you!"

         "you know i could never live with myself if i let you give up on your dreams for me. i'm not worth it. you have something special, thomas. a gift. don't throw it away over something as trivial as me," she insisted, and now she was the one wiping away at his tears.

         he looked at her with a pained ache in his heart at the thought of truly letting her go. could she not see how important she was to him? did she not know he would go through heaven and earth for her? was she unable to realize that he would die for her if he had to? why won't she stay?

        "then dance with me," he whispered, turning away from her gaze as he glanced at the clock. their window of time was closing, and soon she really would have to go. "one last dance together. before you leave. let me hold you close one last time."

         "promise you'll let me go?" she whispered, gazing up at him. "cross your heart?" he smiled weakly, weak as he could as he slowly took his finger and drew a small x against his chest.

         "stay here, love," he instructed, pressing a delicate kiss to her forehead before leaving the room. she took this time to compose herself, rid her face of the tears and to gather her scattered belongings before setting them neatly in a pile beside her suitcase.

        he came back shortly, speaker in hand as he set it aside momentarily before opening the windows. a cool gust of midnight air brushed itself against her warm face and soothed her aching heart for a mere moment.

      "come on," he gestured, holding his hand out to her. she allowed him to guide her out the window and onto the small balcony outside. it didn't hold much. a few scattered plants and pots, two chairs facing out towards the city, and a bowl of food for the stray cat that often enjoyed visiting the couple during the day. it wasn't much but it was theirs and that was all that mattered to them.

    she watched with weary eyes as he connected his phone to the speaker and fiddled with the different buttons on the device before the familiar sounds of piano keys began to escape into the night sky. it was their song. the one they always danced to no matter what. the one that always reminded the two of the other and sent a wave of pure love and adoration through their veins. the song that was soft and gentle yet passionate, just like their love.

   he held his hand out towards her and she gladly took it, allowing him to spin her into his strong arms. he held her close, hands wrapped firmly around her waist and scared of letting go. the song required a waltz, but he'd rather have her pressed flush against his chest than inches apart. she allowed it, letting her hands rest against his chest as they moved in time to the tune. their dance was not as graceful as it usually was, but it didn't seem to matter to either of them. the song was their and that night so was the moon and the stars and the dark blue sky. it all belonged to them for those few moments where she appreciated his comforting embrace and he enjoyed the scent of her shampoo and perfume still lingering on her skin. it didn't matter at that moment that she was leaving, never to see him again. it didn't pain her to know she was abandoning the love of her life. all that simply mattered was their closeness and their pure unconditional love for one another.

     but good things never last, and what felt like just as quickly as it had started, their song was over. the last piano keys wafted through the air and disappeared among the stars. he gazed at her longingly, a glimmer of hope in his eyes that she had maybe changed her mind. but he was instead met with a soft, tearful goodbye as she climbed her way through the window and back into the apartment.

      he didn't budge from his spot or bother to go after her. not as she grabbed her suitcase and walked out of the room and not as she left her key to the apartment on the counter before leaving out the front door. he simply stood out on the balcony, letting the night air send chills along his spine. no tears fell from his eyes and all that was left was a dull ache in his heart and the lingering scent of her perfume as he watched her drive away in a taxi from above and leave his life forever.

  so he slipped inside before shutting the windows. the melody began to fade from the outside world until once again the city was quiet, solely filled with gentle hums from outdoor machinery and occasional honks from the passing vehicle. only the stars and the moon knew of the events that had transpired out on that balcony, and they agreed never to tell a soul.

~~~
a/n; that was angsty oof sorry for not updating in so long! I'm gonna try to update soon with an imagine for spooky season!! also this was kinda inspired by the la la land soundtrack but not rlly lmao