Chapter Seven: Shut Up!

Natasha was the same old same old the next morning. One look from her, and to my knowledge last night never happened. But I still can't comprehend it. Nat never breaks down. Ever.

Thankfully, Fury summoned me to his office. That means an assignment, and probably a shitty one at that. He knows what I hate more than having no work to do; having too easy of a job to do.

"You called." I say walking into Fury's office. He swivels his recliner around to face me while I seat my self in a chair that I've gone quite familiar with the last few years. I cross my arms, awaiting instruction.

"Agent Firman, nice to see you." The sarcasm drips from his voice, only taking a second to look at me before examining the report in front of him. He's still not over my earlier intrusion where I insisted work.

"No need to stand on ceremony," I comment almost lazily, "I know you're going to give me something a Level Two could do."

My working relationship with Nick might be seen as a one of mutual disrespect. That was just not the case. In fact, I saw him as a great authority figure and leader. All of Strike Team Delta, meaning pretty much Nat, Clint, and me, worked closely with Fury more than the average SHIELD agent. Yes, he had divine authority over all of us, but after numerous missions and Clint's constant jokes, meetings with the director became taken much lighter. The word 'chill' would be Barton's way of describing it.

He still keeps his eye on the data tablet in front of him, swiping to the next page, "Guard Loki."

"Excuse me Sir?" My question is met with little consideration as he finally meets my confused gaze.

"Guard. Loki. Is that a problem, Firman?"

Arguing would be fruitless, perhaps even dig me deeper in the hole I've put myself in. I swallow my complaints.  A job is better than no job, "No, sir. I will do as you ask."

I head up a few levels to the prisoner's cell. I arrive at the door, knowing a guard is already inside right near the actual cage. I press a button near the handle, hearing a faint buzz come from the other side of it. Within moments the door is open, showing a young man standing at attention, stance rigid.

"Agent Firman, relieving you of duty."

"I was not notified of this." He responds quickly, almost robotically.

I resist the urge roll my eyes. Did Fury really not brief this guy?, "Director ordered it."

"I was not-" A crackle comes from his earpiece, the orders a little too late. He nods after awhile, pressing the device afterwards, "Copy that."

"Sorry Agent Firman, I just got my orders. I now give you the task of guarding the prisoner."

"Simple misunderstanding Agent....."

"Bradley," He says, his entire form relaxing, "Agent Colton Bradley, Level Three.'

"Well, Bradley," I say, crossing my arms, "You are dismissed."

I open the doors to the room whilst the agent goes past me. I immediately see the cell Loki has been placed in, clear of anything but a chair. Roomie.

The alien clad in green flicks his eyes up at me, curiosity given away in his irises, "Oh, a new guard. Hopefully you are more talkative than your predecessor."

I stay silent, facing my back to him. Without looking, I know he's examining me. He's an attentive, always wanting to know what's around him. I know the type, and I know he'll remember me soon.