Chapter Fifteen: It's Over

I slump back against the wall, my mouth ajar as I metallic taste begins to coat my tongue. Blood starts to run down my jumpsuit, a trail of red forming on the concrete beneath me. I let out a painful groan, momentarily shutting my eyes. Burning, as if fire has ignited in my shoulder blade, courses through my body. An intense pain stems from the wound as I break out into a sweat.

It hurts. It hurts so much.

I grit my teeth while my eyes continually swept the area ahead of me. I didn't intend to be cornered like a defenseless animal and be finished by an alien. I inhale again, focusing on my breathing while another strike of hurt shoots through me.

I swallow, and let adrenaline takeover. I will not die today. Sienna Isabelle Firman will not die at the hand of a lucky Chitauri who managed to get a shot off.

I gently turn my head to look at the wound. It's that stupid, no good, messed up shoulder that's been hit, inches from my heart. I curse under my breath as another wave of pain comes on, my forehead scrunching together.

I tremble again. Think, think. I need an adrenaline rush. It will help me overrun the current pain and keep moving. I need to help the civilians.

I look at the fallen Chitauri, reminding myself that my fate might follow his if I don't move forward. More will find the civilians if I don't get to them first. I slowly work my way up the wall, using my good arm to push off of it. I have to put aside the pain. Put aside the hurt. Be a hero.

I find some small irony in my own thinking while I wince once more from my wound. A few days spent around dressed up superhumans and I've started to think I am one.

Stop thinking Sienna! You've got a mission to complete.

I get up, ignoring my ailments. That task is easier said than done when I cringe again at the burning sensation once I begin to move. I round the corner, seeing the civilians are safe inside the alley. Some gasp when they see my shoulder, or the fact that a strange, bloody woman in a skintight black suit in the middle of an alien invasion.

"Listen up!" I yell, forcing my pain into my words to heighten my voice. Everyone goes quiet.

"I may have killed those aliens, but more will be on their way. You aren't safe here, but I can get you to a place where you can be. People are rendezvousing in the subways. Policemen will be guarding there. Does any one know where the nearest entrance to the subway is?"

No one steps up at first and I don't expect any to do so immediately. Most are still in a state of shock about their new extraterrestrial enemies milling about, but a girl several years younger than me takes a hesitant step forward. It takes less than a moment for me to inquire, "What's your name?"

"Hope." The word is delayed and hushed, but she musters up the bearings to answer me.

I grin without thinking at her name whilst I reach into my belt, "Okay Hope, I need you to take these."

I hand her two grenades, very aware of the questionably rash choice I'm, "You'll be leading the group. If you see any aliens, pull the pin, throw, and cover your ears. Please don't blow yourself or anyone else up in the process."

"Where will you be?"

"Guarding the flank. Now go!" I usher her forward with a push from the back, my gaze still hunting for anymore hostiles.

Hope starts leading the others to the subway while I take the back of the large group after they pass me. No other civilians or aliens seek to be in sight as we travel several blocks through the smoking remains of Manhattan before we get sight of the subway entrance. The gate of the group's walk quickens upon spying several police officers in front of it, urgent to reach some kind of safety.