Chapter Sixteen: Aftermath

"Just to get an inside perspective on this, what exactly in the hell were you thinking!"

Fury had taken no time at all in beginning to reprimand me as soon as I was released from a brief medical leave. I'm in his office about twelve hours after we first arrived back. When we regrouped at the SHIELD helicarrier, we were greeted with warm welcomes, clapping, shouting, and general thankfulness. Fury even seemed cheerful, believe it or not. That demeanor had changed very quickly once our meeting began.

"I am very disappointed in you, Firman. You disobeyed direct orders from me to stay on the helicarrier. What was in your head, Agent? Because it sure wasn't your assigned mission. How can I ever rely on you again if you're just going to run around doing your own thing? You knew very well you were rejected from the Avengers Initiative!"

Silence passes as he sits down and I refrain from speaking, knowing there isn't an answer that will satisfy his anger. He drums his fingers on the table, watching me retain a rigid composure. I keep my face placid as he scrutinizes my movements.

A full moment passes before the director speaks again, "But I guess I made the mistake of rejecting you."

I let my expression relax, "Thank you, sir."

I don't stand up immediately to leave, waiting for a proper dismissal so I can take an actual nap, "Permission to leave?

"Granted, but one thing." I move to stand but still await the coming question. Nick sits back in his chair, crossing his arms before speaking with a curious tone, "I wanna know what made you break protocol. Besides your addiction to action, why did you go?"

I resist a low sigh, "The action, obviously. But...."

"But?"

"Coulson death. I promised him I'd make Loki pay. I don't like going back on my word."

I stop, but Fury knows better not to let me go that easily. He gestures for exchange to continue.

"SHIELD trained us, you trained us, to not stop fighting. Not when the battle isn't over yet. Especially not when we know we can do something about it."

I don't think to expand more on another crazy idea: that somehow I could redeem myself. That somehow avenging Coulson and proving to Loki that I wasn't the killer so many claimed me to be would prove the idea to myself. Perhaps I needed to remind myself why I continued to stay in this job. In theory, that was because I wanted to save lives, not take them.

He stays quiet for a pensive time, weighing my response, "So you think you know better than me when to deploy assets?"

I could be hesitant and respectful with my answer, but I shrug instead, "Technically, you give the order for us to go to the ground anyway."

The exasperated sigh he offers lets me know he could admonish me, but decides against it," Well you're now an Avenger."

He hands me a data pad, showing blurred pictures of myself against the brick walls of New York buildings.

"You were either in a corner or moving way too fast. You're the new superhero."

My smile doesn't hide my amusement, looking at the images, "Do I get a name?"

Fury taps his fingers on his desk some more, not looking at me.

"Phantom."

Something in my head registers memories from years ago. The word brings disturbing feelings knotting in the pit of my stomach. I ignore it, my eyes scanning over the hazy pictures on myself.

"Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I could make it work."

He shakes his head, "Well, the first one the public voted for was the Unseen Avenger. Thought you'd might like that better."