five

acacia

after the escape room, john and i went back to the apartment and just chilled for a while. i laid my head on his shoulder and we watched tv for a little bit.

by now it was 5:30 and john said we'd leave again at 6:45.

"do you have a physical set of uno or something? i can only watch tv for so long."

"yea, it's in the drawer in the end table on your side."

i leaned over the couch to get it out and tossed the card deck at john.

"ow, you ass, you could've ruined my pretty face." he huffed.

"oh fuck off, you priss. shuffle the cards."

———

we quickly realized that uno with two people and in real life isn't near as fun as uno with four people and on the computer. that's kind of bad to say, it makes it seem like we only do shit over screens. it's almost true anyway.

though we did still have fun and john raged quite a bit, it's nothing like being able to jump in and piss off all of your friends.

after we put away the cards, we decided now would be a good time to head back out. this time we were back in an uber, and john distracted me the entire drive so he could really keep this part of the day a "surprise."

he reassured me that the drive wasn't far at all, but i was already bored and impatient about five minutes in. at that point i decided to try and take a "nap" which consisted of me laying my head on john's lap and him trying to pester me.

eventually i said fuck it and checked twitter, instagram, and my snapchat. john's nosey ass decided to breathe down my neck when i was doing this though. him doing this made for a cute picture, his chin on my shoulder, so i added the hearts snapchat filter and took the picture. i captioned it, "the vapelord thinks he has to surprise me tonight. little concerned, he could be taking me somewhere to murder me." and posted it to my story.

john rolled his eyes and took my phone from my hands. i wasn't really too concerned about what he was doing until i saw him attempting to take a picture of me.

"no, fuck off." i said, giving him the finger.

he posted the picture to my twitter and captioned it.
@notacaciastrain: this bitch doo doo cuh

i couldn't help but laugh at the nonsensical tweet in that moment though.

at this time, he handed my phone back and said we were here and i looked around us to see a haunted orchard and haunted house. i mean, it is october and he wants to be all festive and shit, but i never actually went to one of these with a friend.

"you've gotta be kidding," i looked at him seriously.

"nope! we're doing this together, cay."

i sighed loudly and dramatically and john gave me a death stare. i smiled back at him and poked his shoulder.

because he's been here before, he took me by my hand and led me through to where you buy tickets.

"i don't want to give in, but if you feel uncomfortable or anything at all, tell me and we can go back home. i won't be upset."

"i'm not that much of a pussy, john. i'll stick it out, i promise."

this entire experience reminds me how caring and sweet he can be towards friends and honestly it's such a comforting thing. john can be an ass to me when we're recording or even just talking at any time, but he wants nothing but the best for his friends.

i decided to take a picture of the sign leading in and post it on my snapchat story with the caption, "this was his surprise. my surprise is my heart failing after going into cardiac arrest <3"

"wait, wait, wait. bitch!" i muttered under my breath realizing john completely left me in the dust. i ran up behind him and jumped on his back.

"what the fuck- jesus, acacia, i'm old you can't do this." he whined and i laughed back at him.

the sun was almost completely down by the time we arrived, and now it was almost pitch black with some lights scattered here and there throughout the property.

john still had a grip on my hand, not wanting to lose me in the mass of all of the people. especially since the service isn't all that great and if we get separated, we're essentially fucked.

basically where we're at has a part that's a haunted house situation, and then there's another part that's more of a haunted orchard or haunted cornfield type of thing. we first went to the cornfield part and i crossed myself like it actually meant something to me and "prayed" to something that i wouldn't go into cardiac arrest tonight.

the light hold that john had on my hand turned into me completely death gripping his hand and arm in no time at all. he looked down at me in my slightly frightened state and laughed, to which i responded by all but cussing him out.

———

we went through the entirety of the cornfield in a solid 35 minutes and were now almost through the haunted house and me saying i want to get the fuck out is an entire understatement. if john doesn't have tiny little bruises on his hand or arm tomorrow, i'm going to be so shocked.

there are about three more turns before we're out of the house and i'm more than willing to beat his ass for making me go through this. i'm a huge fan of horror movies and i love scary things, but there's something about jumpscares that will always get me and that's what this is.

when we finally made it out of the house i let go of john's hand for the first time in probably two hours.

"fuck you. that was hell on earth." i complained.

"i thought you liked horror! you almost broke my hand and all i could think of was how bad of an idea this was."

"yes i like horror, but these are jumpscares! i thought i was gonna stroke out!"

he laughed and suggested we go get a picture in front of the sign with the name of the place before we go home.

i handed my phone to a kind stranger that agreed to take pictures of us, and thanked her after she took multiple of us.

john called an uber and i let out a sigh of relief knowing i could go back and try to relax. i'm gonna need a vacation from this vacation if he keeps pulling this shit on me.

———