s e c o n d

h a r r y

 i've been staring at effie and i's previous texts for three hours. how could she deny me? i shake my head, it was a stupid way to purpose to her. who wants to be proposed to over the phone? especially text message.

 i sigh while setting my phone down on the glass coffee table in front of me in my office. you'd think being the second highest paid worker at Gordon Enterprises would somehow insure an amazing proposal to effie. the problem is that i don't even know what to do for a proposal, the lads have tried to help me come up with ideas, but none of them screamed, "she will say yes!"

 i rest my head in my hands, rubbing them up and down my face, flustered and frustrated. i hear a buzz sound from my phone and i know i'm about to get a call from one of secretaries.

 "mr. styles?" i hear rose's high pitched voice come from the phone.

 "yes, rose?" i pinch the bridge of my nose.

 "you've got a call from a, 'effie rivers', should i put her on hold or make her call back later?"

 i don't know if i want to talk to effie at the moment, especially after i completely embarassed myself by proposing today. "you know what? i'll answer the call, just put her on line 6."

 with that said, i end the call with rose and wait a few seconds before putting the phone back to my ear, and pressing the number 6.

 "harry?" effie's voice comes out so soft that i can barely hear her.

 i clear my throat, "yes?" my tone sharp.

 i can practically imagine her wincing from the other side of the phone. "i-i'm sorry for how i rejected you. you know i love you, right?"

 "of course i do." my eyes widen when i realize i haven't said i loved her back. "and i love you, too."

 "o-ok, don't be mr. work-a-lot, alright?"

 "ok. see you later, ef."

 "bye."

 our call ends, and i wait a few moments before setting the phone back on its platform. my eyes widen in realization—i have the perfect idea of how to propose to effie.

. . .

 i set the cupcakes on our kitchen table, making sure the lettering and spelling is done properly before i cover them. 

 "effie, will you come out here for a sec? i made cupcakes."

 i hear effie drop her book from our bedroom and scurry into the kitchen. i can practically see her mouth watering from the other side of the room. 

 "what type of cupcakes?"

 "chocolate with vanilla icing." i reply, trying not to sound or look suspicious.

 effie lifts up the sheet that's covering the cupcakes but quickly drops it.

 "what did you do to them, you little shit?" her eyes narrow, and i can see that she's joking around.

 "why don't you find out?" i smirk.

 she carefully lifts up the sheets, and i hear a faint gasp.

 "harry..you didn't."

 i expect to see her with happy tears, or even a smile. but i get the complete opposite; a frown.

 "w-what? do you not like—"

 before i can even finish my sentence, effie sprints out of the room and locks herself in the bathroom. i sprint after her, and jiggle the doorknob.

 "effie, please.." i trail off, i don't even know why i'm saying please. please say yes? please give marriage a chance?

 i hear her sobs from the other side of the door,  i sink onto the floor and lean back into the door. this is not how i thought it would be proposing to the girl i love.

---------------------------------------------------------------

aw, harry :c

 can i possibly get feedback within the comments? c;