xiv. emergence

xiv. emergence

 [ richard strauss - also sprach zarathustra ]

LISA.

"So tell me why are we going to NYU again?" My brother, V, asked as he puffed off smoke from his four hundred dollar tobacco pipe, with a purging conviction. As if it justifies his beatnik fashion fad as we parade the sidewalks of Greenwich Village. Styling on his black turtleneck tanked below with his matte leather pants, topped with a beige beret on his head and golden specs which was meant to cover his drowsy eyes where he got from cold coffees and sleepless nights because he needed to catch up with the output deadlines for this month's issue. The post-graduate success he's been experiencing, ironically, had him stressed in all days. But still he remains more than abashed, besides he's doing what he loves.

Gladly, amidst of his pandemonium state, he still agreed to participate on my personal endeavor. "To meet my girlfriend." I pursued, "Hmm. You've been blabbering about this lady of yours lately. I warn you, I have great expectations." He implied. "She'll go beyond whatever you have thought." I presented a chic and confident tone. I mean, Jennie KIm has never disappointed anyone — and shall never. "Whoever she is, just make sure this relationship of yours will never go to the front page. Publishing a controversy about you is an irony I can't handle." His voice was deterrent and I was reminded why I should be cautious. I could only nod.

"Remind you, we're also here for publicity. The NYU Opening Festivities could make it to the front page. That's if they can give the merriment that I need." An austere tone clanged from his deep voice. It was business as usual.

I heard that the music festival was the main event of the School Year Opening. Because for the first time ever, a lady will do a solo act in front of NYU's school crowd. Which has never been done before. But this hasn't been confirmed, it was just a factual-like rumor spreading across the university. Nonetheless, it still helped the marketing team achieve their quota. The event was sold out. As what Jen have told me.

As we enter the gates of NYU, as one of the media marketers for the event, a pool of popping colored teens with slicked hairs in on-season hats welcomed us, walking from every corner of every hall. My hand automatically raised my newly purchased 35mm Exakta Varex IIb camera. Shining on it's black and silvery template, I quickly took a snap around the area. Click. My Father thought that it would be a nice surprise to give me after his long business endeavors in Germany. A new baby for my collection.

The event was on a another quadrangle, bigger than the first one we've entered. So we advanced to the venue slowly as the clicking of my camera was dominating my senses. Click. click. click. Seeing all these glimmering subjects to be viewed are all splendid and overwhelming. I couldn't miss it for a heartbeat.

Then few moments later, I have spotted the grand stage for the concert, the place was half a hectare of land canopied with newly mowed turf grass with small booths on the sidelines selling books, merchandises, or whatever things charitable. And beaming under the rays of the sun stood the stage. It was at the center of the field, two meters high above the ground. The backdrop were sketched letters saying NYU Music: The 1965 Emergence modelling with colors of red, blue and purple. The lights and the instruments were already set on stage like it's ready to be torn by the passion drive of the performing artists. All ready to be wrecked for the sake of musicality. Click.

In the corner of my eye, I found V surrounded by plated-wearing skirt girls ranging from blonde to brunette firing love looks over the conventional looking heartthrob. Mind you, this is the usual scenario whenever my brother strolls around in public flashing his astounding features. He considers this as a courteous gesture. Click. Well, charity is his preferred word.