xviii. death of a love

[ saint-saëns - danse macabre ]

JENNIE.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T GET INSIDE?" The fury in my lungs were combustible  that I had to scream. The fact that I can't get inside of my own hotel was just obnoxious. I didn't like the inferiority that I was feeling. "I'm really sorry but a guest kind of rented the whole building for a week and they specifically instructed us to not let uh..." The blonde security checked his hand note again, " ...Miss Jen Kim enter the premises." He continued. "But I own the place?!" I complained as my eyes were bursting. "Mmm. Technically, not right now." 

"He has a point you know." Jisoo lowly agreed as she stood next to me. "I just really need to speak to Lisa right now. Can't you do me a favor for once?" I tried to be nice. "I'll pay you twice of what they gave." I continually prompted as I was ready to pullout my check. 

"Uhm, Jen? Maybe now is not the right time to talk to Lisa. I mean, think about it, she spent a million dollar just to let you stay away from her. I mean you can't pressure Lisa, you fucked her up. No offense." Jisoo tried to back me up. That knocked out a lot of sense of me and also confidence. She's right. Lisa hates me right now. But that doesn't mean I should stop trying?

"Fine, it's just my anxiety will get worse if this situation won't be fixed."

"What situation? Your relationship with Lisa or the inferiority you're feeling right now because she bought your hotel which is annoyingly ironic?"

"She rented it. There's a big difference."

"Definitely inferiority."

"Oh, whatever." I couldn't help but groan and roll my eyes.

I was going to turn around and go back to our autocade when I saw Roseanne exited from the other end of the building and rushed off to the streets of New York, her face was brushed red all the way and her eyes were teary. Sadness was in her alright. I was worried and intrigued of course. "Wait. You go ahead. I think I need to buy coffee." I took a strong turn when Jisoo pulled me back as she made a stern eye contact. "Roseanne is not coffee." She prompted firmly. "I need to talk to her." I stated my refute.

"It's cold out there. And you're not in good shape. Jen for fuck's sake your asthma will get worse!" She warned me with worry. "I don't care." I said with finality as I snapped my wrist out from her reach and advanced to the outskirts of the city. "W-hat?! Jen! Stop being a pain in the ass! Hey!" It was the last scream I heard from Jisoo as I dashed through the streets trying to look for Roseanne. If ever that was her. When I took a turn I saw her walking tireless. 

I called out her name but she was too far away. Her feet was fast but it was wobbling and so was mine. I doubled my pace as I continuously shouted her name, but it was no use. She just became more distant as I advanced. "Roseanne!!!" I screamed with vigor when I noticed that my feet was already on the run. It was cold. I was frantic and out of breath. I had no energy to do a marathon but here I am — chasing her.  My veins had no blood. My lips were parched as the freezing air crumpled it. My heart feels hefty as if I was carrying the weight of the world. My knee caps were in numbness. My mind was barely coordinating to my system and my feet felt like vines were pulling them down to the core of the earth, yet here I am— running after her. 

New York was extra freezing today. It was unforgiving and indifferent of me. It didn't took long when finally, the weight came in. Again. A familiar discomfort launched over me. My chest stiffened, my ribs hurt, I somehow couldn't put any air in. This is it, I'm going to shut myself down again. I underestimated this city and now it has me running for my life. This train of thought trembled my hope. And for the last time, I screamed her name with utmost desperation, "CHAEYOUNG!" Then a click resonated. It was dark in a second. The last thing I remembered was a collapse as I fall to the unending abyss again. My skin has familiarized the coldness and the cruelty of the unknown. Just like how my dreams have been ever since I left my timeframe.