xvi. castle on the hudson

[ derek & brandon feichter - avalon ]

LISA.

"Who are you going to paint again?" I made myself deafening, I can hear Jen's throat click before saying Roseanne. I had the unlikeliness of thoughts, "Fool of me to even wonder why you chose women as subjects for your art." Standing hilarious at myself I packed my belongings quicker, wishing she could just say she won't paint her and bring my soul at ease. But that's not Jen. "We need empowerment, Lisa. This art gala of mine will showcase that." See, what I mean? I could only sigh.

"Yeah and so will be the girl who demises this relationship." I rebutted. Mind you, I do not object the recognition that women can get in her gala but is it necessary to bring up Roseanne and break my ego? Yes, because that's what she's good at. My mind debated. "I told you, I'm over her." Her voice volumed up, my busy hands stopped and I turned around to face her with a clenched jaw, "That's exactly what you say before you flash that smile on her. That smile." My eyes were covered by the foreskin of my brows, and her face was in question as well. For pete's sake I was in jealousy. "That certain smile you only give to Roseanne."

"Baby..." Her face rued and her voice gentled as she softly grabs my compacted hand, "I only look at you." I paused as she jeweled her eyes upon mine. "Nope. Not gonna work." I shook my head. The urge was strong but so was my jealousy. As I was about to walk out, Jen suddenly slid her arms through my face and embraced me from the back, "Please." Her voice was annoyingly cute. "Don't get mad." I felt my heart lighting itself on fire and was ready to melt. Don't collapse. Not yet.

"I'm not mad. I'm running late." I excused as I cleared my throat. "It's working isn't it?" Jen suddenly tells me. "What? What's working?" I was puzzled. "I can feel your heart beating fast. I can feel your flutter." I felt her leaning her head at the back of my chest. "No. That doesn't mean anything." My words stuttered. "Yeah right." A snobbish tone backfired. "I love you." She added so skittishly. Then there goes my clenched hand and heart in matrimonial melt.

I turned around and faced her as she let go of our embrace, "I'll paint Roseanne, do the art exhibit and remain your girlfriend. That's it. Nothing else." Here goes my system turning into a fluff pile of adoration for Jen. Thus, forgiving her and blame myself for being outrageous. "I love you. I do." I uttered as I looked below her cherry lips as I lean side ways as an attempt. She quickly moved her lips to kiss me with delicacy then muttered I love you, only you. I could only smile foolishly. Works every time. I gushed in my mind.

Over these past months, I have been disrupted, temperamental and egoistically dangerous. Everything's just chaotic, but one thing's clear at the moment, I need to get out of her apartment, put on a coat, get a ride on my bike, and be 30 minutes early on my photo-op appointment at Chanyeol's Residence. It was December. Every rich household was preparing for their Christmas cards.

...

My expectations were to no avail. I conquered the gates, now I'm on a silver bricked staircase with a man on a white suit and tie approaching me from above "And why aren't you half an hour early. I specifically told you to arrive before me." A chattering older brother greeted me by the golden plated doors as I was walking up while on a rush in preparing my camera. "Sorry, V. Got up a little late." I excused as he timely opened the doors for me. We entered. "What have i told you about sleeping in Jen's apartment? You have a million dollar house for Christ's sake!" He loudly whispers, almost like a hiss. I could only roll my eye out of annoyance. "Uhm, since when did you care about my siestas?" I injected. "Since you kept running late on work." He replied. We were halfway through the living hall, with over ten people busy with technicalities and with Chanyeol's family positioning themselves on their gigantic glass staircase. "I'm sorry okay? Just having a rough week." I exhaled. "You also said that a week ago." His serious tone was obvious now. "I'll figure my shit out okay? Let's get to work." I rejected his concern and dashed myself and my camera on to the set.