The Newcomer

Aurora had arrived at Alexandria only a few weeks after the war with the Sanctuary had ended. She had forgotten just how long she had been out there alone, moving from place to place, never staying put for long. When Rick and Michonne had found her out on the road Michonne had taken an instant liking to the young woman, she reminded her of the person she once was. Tackling the cruel world alone, with a couple of chained walkers by her side for camouflage. She had a compound bow and a hunting knife for weapons, and a Beretta pistol just in case.

It took some convincing to get her to join their community, but it didn't take long for her to settle in. Once she had proven she could be trusted Aurora was given her weapons back. Rick took it upon himself to interview her, find out as much as he could about her so he knew where she would be of the most value.

With a background in horticulture and landscaping Rick had put Aurora in charge of Alexandria's gardens, growing fruit and vegetables for the communities. She had a group of people working under her and she had quickly gained the respect of everyone. As well as the garden project she also took night watches at the gates. It wasn't something she was asked to do, it was something she had requested. Sleep didn't exactly come easy any more, so she preferred to spend half the night on watch doing something productive instead of tossing and turning in her bed.

She had been with the group for around six months when all hell broke lose in the middle of the night. She had heard the rumours about the man being held in a cell and the stories of the things he had done. Apparently a member of the community didn't agree with Rick about keeping him alive and had tried to take him out. Aurora refused to make any judgements about the situation with the prisoner, she wasn't there during the war between the communties and she didn't know all the facts. After all, everyone had done things in this world that they weren't exactly proud of, and Aurora made no secret of the fact that she had killed people when it was necessary.

After an impromptu town meeting to put everyone at ease that they weren't in any danger, Rick approached Aurora with a proposition.

"I don't want you to feel at all obliged here, but I would like to ask something of you" Rick began.

"Okay... shoot".

"I'm sure by now you have heard the stories about Negan?"

"The guy you're keeping locked up?"

"Yeah..." Rick said with a hint on unease.

"Hey no judgment here" she reassured him. "We've all done shit, and we do what we have to, to keep people safe".

"Well as much as people don't like it, I want him kept alive. I'm thinking about a protective detail. 24/7 watch. Since I know you don't sleep all that well, I wondered if you would take the night shift?" Rick asked.

"Do I have to stay awake all night?"

"No, no... you can sleep. I remember you once said that you were an extremely light sleeper. I just want someone else down there in case anyone wants to try something again, someone I can trust. Someone who is unbiased in this situation" Rick explained.

"Okay. Yeah I'll do it. I still get to work in the garden though right?"

"Of course" Rick smiled. "I have to warn you though. Negan... he's a real piece of work. He has a knack for getting in to people's heads so... just watch your back. Don't let him sway you with the way that he is... although I'm not sure that is a problem for you" he said with a questioning tone and a cocked eyebrow, like he was looking for an answer.

For a second she wondered what he meant, before it clicked. Of course... Rick thought what everyone her whole life thought. Just because she had a bunch of tattoos, cut her hair short and wore practical clothes and not skirts or dresses they assumed she was a lesbian. "I'm not gay if that's what you're implying" she scoffed.

"I'm sorry. I meant no offence... I just assumed-".

"Yeah. You and the rest of the world. Don't worry about it. It's cool. I'm used to it".

"Look all I'm saying is that Negan has a way with words, he is a charming son of a bitch. Be careful you don't fall prey to him" Rick warned.

"I can handle it. Besides... he'll probably just think I'm gay too right?" She chuckled.

"It's probably best if you don't talk to him beyond what you have to okay. Just ignore him as best you can. I'll have a mattress taken down there for you to sleep on. Anything else you need just let me know".

"Sure thing".

"Thank you Aurora. I owe you for this".

"You trusted me and took me in. I think we're even" she smiled.

---***---***---***---***---***---***---***

As Aurora followed Rick into the basement where Negan's cell was she saw him sit up on his bed, curiously watching the two of them as they entered.

"Well what do we have here Rick? Nobody told me it was bring your daughter to work day" he grinned smugly. "But hold on a minute... she is much too old to be that cute little button of yours... Judith was it? Unless you had another kid before Carl that I don't know about?"

"This is your protection detail. You will be guarded 24/7 from now on" Rick told him. Not taking the bait Negan was trying to tempt him with.

"So you're my new bodyguard? Pleasure to meet you Sweetheart" Negan grinned charmingly as he stretched a long arm through the cell bars. "I'm Negan... and you are?"

Aurora just eyed him warily before looking back at Rick. "Remember what I said" he told her and she gave him a nod. Negan reluctantly pulled his arm back in, gripping the bars as he watched her intensely. As Rick left, one of the guys dragged in a mattress and lay it down as far away from Negan's cell as possible.

"I guess you and I are roomies now huh?" Negan chuckled but still Aurora refused to respond. "Oh I get it... your the broody silent type... figures".

Aurora just scoffed at his words. She knew exactly what he was doing. He would say anything to get a reaction. No doubt he would be trying to find out exactly how to push her buttons while she was on watch. It was going to be hard to not take the bait, especially when she wasn't one to just sit back and take shit from anyone. This new role might just be more challenging than she anticipated.