Verdict

Aurora left the others in charge of the garden for the morning and waited with Negan for Rick to return.

"Thank you, for everything you said about me" Negan smiled.

"I only spoke the truth. I just hope they see reason".

"Don't get your hopes up Sweetheart" Negan sighed. "These people still fucking hate my guts".

"Whatever happens, nothing changes okay. Us... bars or no bars... I'm still here".

"I'd have lost my mind a long time ago if it wasn't for you Rori".

"Good thing I came along then huh" she smiled. Aurora sat against the cell bars, holding Negan's hand in hers, anxiously awaiting the councils decision. It felt like forever before Rick finally returned looking rather solemn and Aurora's heart sunk.

"Rick?" She spoke as she stood up and looked at him.

"I'm sorry Aurora. I tried. They're just not ready. They need more time" Rick tried to explain.

"More time? He's been caged like some kind of animal for over a year! How much more fucking time do they need?" She angrily.

"I honestly don't know".

"How is he supposed to prove himself if no one will give him a damn chance?"

"Look I know you see good in him. Maybe I see it a little too. But everyone else can't right now. All they see is the man who killed their friends, their family".

"And they won't see him as a person if they keep him locked away, pretending like he doesn't exist" she countered. "Ignoring a problem doesn't solve it".

"This is a very unique situation".

"This whole world is a unique situation Rick. You were a cop right?"

"Yeah?"

"Then you should know a little something about the justice system? Prison only works if the people being locked up have a chance to better themselves. Without the possibility of rehabilitation, it's just pointless. All that promotes is recidivism" Aurora argued.

"You are right Aurora. You're absolutely right. And you are wise beyond your years. You can see the bigger picture that others are failing to see. But I can't just make them see it, you understand that right?"

"What do they want from him? What is he supposed to do to earn his freedom?"

"Right now they don't want him to have freedom... ever" Rick spoke. "They're still angry".

"I'm fucking angry. This is bullshit Rick and you know it" Aurora growled, struggling to keep her emotions in check. She thought that Rick would have her back on this.

"Rori... it's okay Sweetheart. You tried. Rick tried. Just let it be" Negan spoke gently as he grasped her hand through the bars.

"This isn't right" she cried, a tear slipping down her cheek and Negan reached up tenderly wiping it away.

"Look, the council think it would be best if you were taken off Negan's protective detail" Rick told her.

"What!? No Rick... please. You can't. Don't let them do this" Aurora cried, tears now freely spilling from her eyes.

"Believe me, I don't want to do that" he told her with nothing but truth in his eyes.

"But you will? You're gonna let them destroy everything we've been working towards. Do you even see how far Negan has come? Do you see how far I have come? How much he has helped me? Being down here with him... I've had my first peaceful nights sleep since the beginning. Please Rick. I'm begging you. Don't do this to him. Dont to this to us".