Connection

Months went by and Aurora and Negan grew closer. Their unspoken bond had strengthened over time. Something about him made her gravitate toward him, she just couldn't help it, and Negan had been drawn to her from the very moment they met. Everything he ever said to her was sincere, he didn't lie or try to deceive her, she knew that much, she could see it in his eyes.

He knew more about her than anyone else ever had, before or after the turn. And Negan had confided in her in a way that he had never done with anyone else, even Lucille. The more she got to know him, the more human he seemed to be. Despite what Rick and the others thought of him he was filled with guilt and remorse over the things he had done, and all he wanted was to be a part of a better world.

Like her, Negan too had nightmares, and it had become an unspoken routine that every night when one of them awoke drenched in fear, guilt, sadness or panic they would each slide their matresses to the cell bars and lie close to one another, often holding eachothers hand in comfort. Their relationship wasn't sexual in nature, although there was no denying the attraction. But unlike every other relationship that Negan had in the past, his connection with Aurora transcended the physical. Their relationship was on a whole other level. They connected in every possible way, and she gave him hope that one day he would be free of the cell he was locked in. Although as long as he had her with him, he wouldn't care if he had to stay there forever.

Aurora was working in the garden when Rick approached her one afternoon. "Aurora, can I borrow you for a while?"

"Sure Rick, what's up?"

"It's Negan".

"Has something happened?" She asked, unable to hide the hint of worry in her voice, and Rick picked up on it.

"No nothing bad. He just... he needs a hair cut and a shower, but he is refusing. Said he'd only let you cut his hair".

"Me? But... I'm gardener not a barber".

"I know... but will you? It's pretty easy, there's a pair of battery operated clippers. You just gotta shave his head and his beard that's all. And he will be cuffed the whole time with someone else on watch" Rick explained.

"Yeah... okay. I can do it" she replied, not really worried about the cuffs. She was confident Negan would never hurt her.

"Great. Thank you" he said as he walked with her toward the cell.

"So what's the deal with you two? Why does he only want you to do it?" Rick asked knowing that something was up. They had spent over six months together, they were bound to form some sort of relationship.

Aurora was worried about telling Rick the true nature of their relationship. He probably wouldn't understand, he might stop her from being his night watch, or worse kick her out of Alexandria, considering her actions treasonous.

"Can I ask you something Rick?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you ever had a connection with someone that you just can't explain? Like they are the only one in the world who truly sees you, and understands you?" She asked.

"I guess my relationship with Michonne is kinda like that... why?"

"Well... that's the kind of connection I have with Negan".

"Aurora... I warned you that he would get into your head".

"I know Rick, and I listened. Believe me I did. I ignored the man completely for a whole month. But then when I talked to him, and got to know him... the real him, not that bullshit macho front he puts on for the world, I realised that he is human. Just like the rest of us".