Old Habits Die Hard

It had been nearly a month since Aurora had started the 'Negan Night Watch' as she called it. In that time she had still managed to not speak a single word to him, and she prided herself in that. Instead she just watched him closely and quietly, almost as though she was studying him. And in a way she was. Meanwhile he did the same to her, although Negan was anything but quiet. In fact Aurora was convinced that word wasn't even in the man's vocabulary.

She arrived at eight as usual, bringing Negan's dinner with her. Placing the tray on the floor she slid it closer to his cell bars before she went and sat on her bed with her latest book.

Negan took the food from his tray and began to eat while he watched her read. "How long have you been down here with me? A month? And I don't even know your name yet" he spoke up. Aurora looked up from her book and offered a small shrug of her shoulders before continuing to read. "You plan on giving me the silent treatment forever? Tell me... who'd I kill? Your boyfriend? Your Dad?" He began guessing, trying to find something to hit a nerve, a task that was one of his many specialties. At this point he would do almost anything to make this frustratingly silent young woman utter a single word to him. "But then again, you don't look at me with hatred and disgust like everybody else here" he mused.

Before Negan could say anything else a knock came at the door and one of the gardeners that Aurora worked with popped his head around the corner. "Hey... sorry to bother you. Barb wanted to know if we had any more stakes for the tomatoes, a few more are starting to droop" Benjamin told her.

"No worries Ben, I cut a fresh bundle of sticks this morning. They are in the far right corner of the big garden shed" Aurora told him.

"Awesome. Thanks Aurora. Night" he smiled cheerfully. She cringed internally at the mention of her name in front of Negan, but gave Benjamin a quick smile and a wave.

"Faggot" Negan muttered as Aurora began to read her book again. Her head snapped up and she stared angrily at him. "A bundle of sticks... it's called a faggot" Negan stated in a matter of fact kind of way as he chuckled cockily. Aurora scoffed at him and turned her attention back to the book in her hands.

"You know, I was almost beginning to think you were mute, I hadn't heard a single word pass those pretty pink lips since you've been down here" he smiled. "But hot damn... your voice is sexy as fuck. Kinda reminds me of that actress, the blonde with the slightly husky voice... you know the one. She's fucking hot. Actually you kinda look like her too" he grinned. "Like her...crossed with that boyish singer Pink".

As much as Aurora wanted to ignore Negan, he had kind of peaked her interest. She wanted to know which actress he was talking about. She didn't really know why. Maybe she just wasn't used to someone giving her a compliment. Not many people would see past her somewhat androgynous look. She looked up at him her eyebrow raised in confusion. He hadn't exactly given much information to go on.

"Oh c'mon you know the one... she's probably every teenage boys wet dream" he chuckled. "She was in that movie with the Scottish guy... the Island".

"Scarlett Johannson" Aurora spoke up before she could stop herself. She always had good knowledge when it came to movie trivia.

"Yes! That's the one" Negan said as he clapped his hand on his leg excitedly. "So... your name is Aurora?... That's different, maybe even a little weird" he teased.

"As opposed to Negan" she shot back. "My Mother liked the night sky" she told him in defence.

"Well, I'm gonna call you Rori, because you're cute as a fucking button and I think it suits you" he grinned smugly.

"My Dad called me Rori" she said as she eyed him.

"Really? Well... I could be your Daddy" he said with a suggestive wink.