Chapter 4: Radiation

Y/N POV:

What seemed like hours later, I woke up from my pod being opened by Nate. I stumbled forward, almost falling to the floor but, luckily Nate caught me before I hit the ground.

"Y/N, are you alright?" Nate asked, standing me up. "Yeah, I'm fine. I heard Nora screaming..... oh god, Nate... they shot her!" I said, still confused and shocked at what I thought happened a few minutes ago. Nate walked over to Nora's pod and opened it with the control panel beside it. As the pod slowly opened we gazed at a frostbit, deceased Nora. I had tears in my eyes, looking at the gunshot wound in the middle of her forehead. I looked over at Nate who had white knuckles while still staring at Nora as well.

"I was awake when this happened... when those mercs killed her. I could hear her screams and all I could do was watch." Nate said, looking to me with glassy eyes. "I know what it feels like, I was there too.... she was
my best friend." Once I had finished speaking Nate gave me a hug, which helped a lot considering what the situation was.

"Come on, let's find a way out of here."
He said letting go of me and walking towards the way we came in. "You mean the surface? Isn't it all irradiated?" I said, catching up with him.
     "Well, the way I see it, the surface is our only hope of surviving." Nate said "That is unless you want to starve down here."

We continued walking back the way we came when first entering the vault. The door to the entrance of the vault was closed because it was:
"Jammed, well looks like we have to find another way out."
"How about the Overseer's office?" I said, pointing to a closed door across the hall.
" Yeah that might work. Good thinking kid." Nate said, walking over to the door and opening it. "Kid?" I said following close behind him.
     "Yup, your the kid here, not me."
  "But I'm 21, technically an adult so I'm not a kid."
"You are to me."
We walk into the office and grab the ammo and pistols that were on the desk. Nate hacked the terminal and opened the emergency exit door. We walked out and down the hallway until we found a giant roach?
       "What the hell is that?!" I said, getting my pistol ready even though I don't know how to use it.
"I don't know, maybe the radiation did this to them." Nate said, squishing one of them to the floor. If this is what the bomb did to the cockroaches then what did it do to the rest of the world?

While I was daydreaming about what the radiation might have done to the surface, Nate had killed all the 'rad-roaches'.
"Ok come on, let's get out of here." Nate said
         We walked to an open door that led to the vault door entrance.
        "Looks like this is it. We need to get that door open."
        "Here's a control panel, and look a Pip- boy! You can open the door with this i think." I said, picking up the Pip boy from a skeleton of a former vault worker. I gave the Pip boy to Nate and he opened the door. There were yellow lights flashing whenever he turned the key in the control panel. The vault door unsealed itself and rolled to the side revealing the elevator that we first rode on.
   "You ready?" I asked,
"Ready as I'll ever be"
And with that we got on the elevator and rode to the top.

A/N Hope you enjoyed this lovely chapter! IM SO SO SORRY I DIDNT UPDATE WHEN I SAID I WOULD I HAD MY PHONE TAKEN AWAY!! Anyways hope you enjoyed and don't forget to vote and comment. LOVE YOU GUYS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY/ NIGHT! Thanks for reading and I will see you next time!!