Chapter 1 : Floating in the void

When I opened my eyes, everything was blurry. All that I could feel was the burning sensation all over my body after that I hit the water. The tie of my uniform was floating in front of my face, looking like a rope to hang someone. I was going to die, I knew it. Everything was getting blurrier and I was almost unable to distinguish the shape of my hands. There was large nets of blood in the water in front of me. I was hurt, I was cold but I wasn't afraid, I just felt empty. Just like a toothpaste tube that would have been pressed until there was nothing left in it. What was even more pathetic in that death is that I wasn't going to miss to anyone. Maybe my parents, and that's it. I never had the chance to make friends...

Who's gonna put flower on my grave ? No one. No one will come, and I will be forgotten. If I had a second chance in life, I would try to make some friends.

To suffocate is terrible, It hurts, my trachea tightens and my throat is tied up, but my body which is losing all his blood, is floating peacefully in the water. The outside of my body is relaxed while the inside fucking hurts.

The last litres of air are leaving my lungs and the last pieces of hope are leaving my spirit.

Cold. That's all that remains in the end. The fall from the cliff is nothing compared to that frightful cold. It was like every drop of my blood was turning into ice.

And that was it. I was loosing consciousness but I felt a hug. It was warm. There was a warm sensation that was overwhelming my body. Somebody was hugging me. Their Hair was Red, the same colour as my blood. It was a cheerful warm that was embracing me, it felt like coming back home. I felt a cold breeze of air on my face and a hand in my back. I heard a feminine voice saying « Don't worry I won't let go », I was able to take a respiration and then I lost consciousness.

I woke up in my bed with a strong headache but at least I was alive. However, last night I was sure that I had died. And it was way too real to be just some dream. But I had to go to the obvious, since I was alive it couldn't be real. I went to the bathroom to take a shower, and at the sight of the water falling from the shower I felt a bit dizzy. There was thousand of warm drop of water who hit my skin, It made me reconciled with water a bit.

After that I packed my stuff and I headed towards school.

I was a sophomore at Kuoh academy. Despite not having any friend I enjoy going to school. Nobody was mean to me, some boys were a bit perverted, but that was the case in any school.

Today could have been a day like annother day, but after my « dream » of last night, I was determined to make a friend.

The morning went by normally, and it was time to lunch. When I decided to head to the cafeteria everyone had already left, that's why I took the stairs alone. I wasn't paying attention at what was around me at all, and I bumped into someone. God knows I shouldn't have bumped into that ONE person specifically. The school idol, the person who could stole someone's heart just by looking at them. Rias Gremory. Thanks god we were alone in the staircase, otherwise an army of school girl would have killed me by now.

I handed to her the pile of books that felt earlier, and I apologised. I looked into her eyes I felt the same warmth as the one that was in my dream. She looked at me with a big smile and said

« Don't worry it's nothing, Kazuki » before leaving. She knew the name of a random guy like me ? It's quite surprising since we've never talked before.

Well I have to admit it's true that she's beautiful, but now that I think about it, it seems like a frightening beautifulness, it's quite surreal. How can someone be that perfect ?

Shit... I think that she got me... I can't think about anything else now...

Crap... I decided to go to the infirmary to take a nap before going back to class, hopefully it would help me focus again.

When I woke up a few hours later I felt like a weight on my heart. I had one thing in mind, the only thing that I wanted was talking with her again; She's beautiful of course, but there's more to it, I could sense that she knew something about me that I didn't, and I needed to figure it out.

I took my leave from the infirmary and headed to the 3rd year's student floor.

As I was climbing the steps, my heart was pounding faster and faster. My head was filled with hope, and when I finally reached the right floor, she was there but there was a lot of people around her preventing me to go near. I mean, she's the most popular girl in school, of course everyone wants to talk to her, obviously there would have been a crowd around her, I dont know why I was hoping that I would have been able to talk to her in the first place. She glanced at me, and I smiled in her direction, but it didn't last more than a second, she looked somewhere else so i decided to leave.

I was now descending the stairs which were empty just like they were at noon. I was a bit disappointed, but I wasn't desperate. Maybe some people would say it's stupidity, but i just couldn't give up like that. I was definitely going to try my luck again tomorrow.

I was about to leave the school ground when I heard someone shouting.

« Kazuki, Wait ! »

I turned back and I saw a girl with a slender figure and beautiful and long crimson hair.

I must admit that it was a surprise. But I felt very happy. She took my hand and said,

« Let's go somewhere more private to discuss. » She then took me in front of the old school building. We sat on a bench. We looked at each other in the eyes and I could feel that I was blushing. She was smiling gently.

« ... I guessed that you wanted to talk with me... So what is bothering you ? »

« I... I don't know... it's kinda hard to explain... I don't want to look like a weirdo to you or anything but... I feel like there is something you know about me that I don't... And I... well I don't know how to explain this... it's just my guts, and I might totally be wrong... I'm not a psycho or anything, i swear ! »

Yeah, I freaked out. Rias giggled a bit and said :

« You're so cute when you show that weird face ! Well don't worry your guts were right. There's something that you don't know yet about yourself. »

« May I ask what is it ? »

« Well, you're a devil. »