five

" That is mahogany!" Effie exclaims.

" If you want to live before the games even start, I suggest you stop it with the lying." She slams his knife back on the table, letting go of the one between his fingers before grabbing an apple, walking off to her room.

One bite after another, only the core of the apple is left, which she places atop the dresser before laying back down on the bed. She takes a look around her, finding a remote on her bedside table that wasn't their before. Her legs hang off the bed as she sits beside the table, grabbing the small box, before hitting the biggest button. A bright light flashes in front of her eyes, forcing her to look up at the wall, seeing a video playing.

" The 2nd Quater Quell." She finds Haymitch, who takes another drink before sitting beside the girl, watching the game.

He keeps taking swigs before handing her the bottle, which she holds yet doesn't drink out of. When only a few, counting the man beside her, are left he snatches the bottle back, drinking the last half. " Do you believe you'll win this game?" he asks, looking around for another bottle.

She shrugs again, giving a small answer. " Don't know."

Giving up his search, he looks over at her. " I don't know if your smart, strong, dumb or stupid, but I'm sure you have a better chance than-- what's his face?"

" Marcus," she corrects, " and saying that isn't a big boost in confidence." He gives a hearty laugh, patting the girl's shoulder lightly before getting up, wobbling faintly.

" Just, good luck." He goes to walk away.

As he passes the door frame he hears, " Ace." He stops a moment, looking back at the girl in confusion. " My name is Jace Griffet, but my brother called me Ace." A small smile grows on his face before stating, " I'll let your artist know," and walking out.

Laying down again, time flies by for the one named Jace. Humming a tune, it gets muffled over by screams, making her sit up curiously. So curious, she walks out into the dining room, and towards the windows. The screams and cheers grow louder. Looking out, hundreds of thousands of Capitol citizens cheer. What do they cheer for, their deaths? Probably. Their screams grow louder for some reason, making Jace look and see Marcus blowing them kisses and waving. She can only roll her eyes, moving away from the window and back to her room.