two

" Duck!" Rue reacts quickly, being pulled down by Jace, the two hitting the ground with a loud thud. The firey orb hits a tree behind them with an even louder thud. Jace gets up in one swift motion, turning on her heels, seeing grass and trees burning from the flames. " Holy shit," she mumbles beneath her breath. The loud crack makes Ace look to her right, seeing a large, inflamed tree beginning to fall right into their path.

" Jace!" Rue screams. It snaps the latter out of her head. She sprints towards Rue, who had already begun running out of the path of the tree.

The two barely make it out, the impact causing the two to be taken off their feet, making them hit the ground once more. Despite the pain in Jace's side, she bares her teeth and moves onward, Rue now using her as a human crutch, twisting her ankle while they ran.

The smoke makes their eyes water, their lungs becoming parched from the lack of moisture. However, Jace's feet still keep moving, hoisting Rue to where she's giving the young one a piggyback. The pain in Ace's side becomes more noticeable, forcing the elder to shut her eyes, wanting to just succumb to her wounds right at this moment.

And then the land falls underneath the two, forcing a shriek from their lips before their bodies are engulfed by fresh water.