[1]

A/N: the story will be in Laila's POV mostly. I'll let you know who's POV it's in in the beginning of the chapter or whoever the POV changes. 💕

Also, I was going to start in the middle of December but due to high commands, I decided to start today lol! Enjoy! 🥰🥰🥰

- - -

Laila's POV

"Laila! I know you're on lunch break, but could you get the phone for me?" Maryam says loudly across the room.

I give her thumbs up instead of replying because of the food stuffed in my mouth. I quickly chew it up and jog towards the phone.

"Good afternoon, this is the Toronto Therapy and Rehabilitation Centre." I speak to the person on the phone.

"Yes, of course I can make you an appointment. Do you have a doctor in mind? We have skilled psychologists, Dr. James Roberts and Dr. Maryam Ali."

"Yes, of course. Dr. James is available next week, Monday at noon. Is that okay with you?" I type in the patient's information. "Is that all for today? Thank you so much. See you on Monday." I hang up.

"Did I or James get it?" Maryam looks at me hopefully.

"Dr. Roberts won this time. Sorry Maryam." I laugh.

"Darn it! People always want to go for the white guy! Is it because of my Arabic name? My hijab? The disrespect!" She sighs in frustration.

I lean my head to the side and give her a disapproving look, "Youre always so dramatic, Maryam. You have your schedule full of patients this week and most of next week. You're doing amazing, Maryam."

"I bet you say the same thing to James when he's upset." Maryam huffs.

I give her a guilty look and laugh nervously.

Maryam squints her eyes at me and looks at me suspiciously.

"Anyways, I can't wait for your thesis for your Masters degree to be approved and signed off so you can start working with us professionally in a few weeks!" Maryam squeals.

Even I couldn't contain my excitement, "I know! I can't wait to start doing what I love!"

"Sometimes, I wish I stayed back and studied at a normal pace." Maryam sighs.

"No! I think it's wonderful that you finished early. Besides, I can learn through my best friend now, it's convenient." I wink at her.

Maryam and I have been best friends since the first grade. I was quiet and shy, she was loud and obnoxious. I guess opposites attract because since she approached me on the first day of school, we were separable since then.

Once we got to high school, Maryam turned out to be a highly gifted student, who finished high school within the first two years because of her advanced skills.

Both of us were interested in the science field, more specifically cognitive science and both of us ended up in the psychology field.

Now fast forward to the present. We're both 24 years old. I'm finishing my Masters degree in Clinical Psychology and she already has her PhD for Clinical Psychology and Biopsychology. I couldn't be prouder of her, she's literally my whole world. Shes been through so much with me that it crazy me that she's still by my side. She's been my everything ever since I...— never mind that.

"You're always being so sweet and patient, how do you have that in you? I'm always fussing about something all the freaking time." Maryam says as she sits down behind the receptionist desk with me.

I smile, blushing a little. "You're always complimenting me. You need to stop because it's getting to my head."

"Good afternoon, ladies." Dr. Roberts interrupts and stands in front of the desk. "Laila, when's my next patient coming in?"

"Good afternoon, Dr. Roberts." I greet him.

"James." Maryam greets him with only his name without looking up from her lunch box.

I try to stop myself from smirking too obviously. Maryam has had a crush on Dr. James Roberts since they were in their PhD grad school together. She hates admitting she's smitten by Dr. Roberts and feels a little flustered every time she's near him.

Whenever we're alone, she talks about how his big brown eyes are always vibrant and lively, how his smile is so ravishing that it makes her heart jump, how his dark hair is always well gelled, how he dresses so suitably.

To tell you the truth, she wants everyone to believe that the only reason she took up this job with him is because it was great pay right after getting her PhD and she was able to reserve me a spot in this centre for when I get my degree. However, we all know, deep down inside, she took the job because she wants to work with Dr. Roberts. Her ego just won't let her admit that outside of my circle.

"You're next appointment is in 30 minutes." I say.

"That's great! I'll eat lunch now and work on my case as well." He begins to walk towards his office but then he back-tracks. "Oh, yes, I wanted to ask, would you two ladies like to eat out for dinner after work?"

"No." Maryam says.

"Sure." I say in sync with her.

We look at each other and Maryam's looking at me with her please, don't look.

"We'd love to join you for dinner." I smile.

Maryam sighs in defeat, "Okay, but the important question is, are you paying?"

"Don't worry, Dr. Ali. It'll be my treat." He winks at her.

I can see Maryam's face heat up as she quickly covers her cheeks with her hands. She grabs her lunch box and retreats to her own office.

"Is she okay?" Dr. Roberts raises a brow.

I shake my head, more to myself than him, thinking about how clueless he is. "Uh, yes, she's fine. Don't worry about her."

He nods and makes his way into his office.

Ten minutes pass by and I hear footsteps approach the front desk that I'm sitting at. I'm finishing up a form online so I don't look up right away.

"Good afternoon. You must be Dr. James Roberts' patient—" I look up and gasp. He's not a patient. I quickly stand up and apologize, "I'm so sorry! I was expecting someone else. How may I help you?"

He doesn't seem to dwell on the mistake. In fact, he didn't even change his stony expression. "I'm here to meet James."

"Oh, of course. And your name, please." I ask.

"Alexander. Alexander Romano." He says in an almost authoritative tone.

- - -

A/N: I'm baaaack! So what do you think so far?

I will start continuously updating this mid-December, after my exams (or maybe even earlier, who knows)! Keep this in your library so you'll be updated on when I release the chapters! 💕

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!