[31]

A/N: I know usually upload at 12pm EST and it's 7pm right now but my wifi was acting up & I didn't have much phone data left. Sorry about the delay! I hope you understand! 😭❤️

- - -

Laila's POV

"Attention everyone! Dr. James Roberts has a toast to make!" Maryam announces and everyone slowly quiets down.

Dr. Romano and I are seated on the chair that's on the stage. James walks up to the stage and Maryam hands him the mic.

James clears his throat. "Good evening, I'm James, Alexander's best friend and only friend who survived his gruesome friendship for 25 years. Congratulations Alex on finding the one person you want to torture for the rest of your life!" This makes everyone chuckle. "On a serious note, I am beyond happy that my best friend has found true love. Happy engagement to you both and I wish you all the best in life."

James turns to Dr. Romano and I and says, "I would like to give one engagement advice: make sure the ring is really tight so it can never be taken off!" The room erupts into more laughter and claps, even I manage to genuinely laugh.

"Okay, my turn!" Maryam takes the mic from James. "Assalamualikum and good evening. I'm sure you all already know who I am. I'm pretty famous amongst people." Maryam jokes, making the crowd laugh. "Just in case you've been living under a rock, I'm Maryam, Laila's best friend of about 19 to 20 years, maybe her only friend because she tends to pretend to not know how to speak when she meets people. I was the only person who brought out her real side." She winks at me.

"Maryam!" I lightly scold her, feeling a little embarrassed.

"Anyways, I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, I actually never thought she'd find someone on her own. She's always so busy trying to make others happy, that she forgets about her own happiness sometimes. I'm glad she found the one she's ready to spend her life with, I'm so proud of you Laila." Maryam looks at me with pride.

This makes my eyes water. I love you, I mouth to her. Though I'm failing her in reality, I'm just happy to see her happy.

"May you have a lifetime of happiness, love, fun and commitment to each other. Congratulations on taking this new exciting step together! So pick up your nonalcoholic drinks to toast to this beautiful couple!" She says and everyone claps.

"And, and, and, I forgot to say, happy engagement wishes and all but... now all we wanna know is when's the baby due?" She knows this comment will make me explode so she quickly puts the mic down and runs off the stage. Everyone bursts out laughing, some even loudly saying oh's and ah's.

"Maryam Khan, wait till you get down here! Stop embarrassing her!" Her mother yells after her.

I cover my face sheepishly. Maryam seriously never holds back.

Dr. Romano gets up and picks up the mic. "Thank you, James and Dr. Khan. I think I'll say a few words to my fiancée as well."

I look at him in disbelief. I didn't expect him to acknowledge any of this, let alone say anything. What would he even say? I'm glad I played with her feelings, broke her heart, threatened her and then made her marry me?

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for joining us on this joyful celebration." He turns to look at me. His eyes are softer than the usual sharp hazel.

"Tonight is very special for me, for us. I'm not someone who expresses feelings very well but I hope I can get this across." His gaze on my intensifies. "The day I met you, I knew you were the one, I couldn't wait to have you, to marry you, make you mine. From now on, you will never have to go through anything alone, you will always have my shoulder to lean on and you will always have my arms to call home. I simply cannot wait to tell the whole world that you will be forever mine." He flashes his most charming, heart-melting smile.