[2]

Laila's POV

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Mr. Romano. I don't remember any patients booking an appointment for this time." His mere presence made me feel uneasy. It's as if making him upset could really end me somehow. "I'm so very sorry, it must've been my fault." I stumble with the computer, trying to look for his appointment slot.

"Alex?" Dr. Roberts says in an almost confused tone. "I told you to come straight to my office after you got here. What are you doing standing there?"

Mr. Romano doesn't answer, he stares at me for a couple of long seconds. I can't read his expression, but the look in his eyes are of someone who's trying to analyze and decode something.

"Dr. Roberts, you should have told me you were expecting someone. I held up Mr. Romano for an unnecessary amount of time." I say.

Dr. Roberts facepalms, "Oh God, I entirely forgot to give you a heads-up about Alex! You must've panicked and started to blame yourself again?" He asks in a disappointed tone.

"H-how did you know?" I don't understand why I'm asking. He's known me for a while, of course he can tell! Plus, his PhD is to understand people.

"You look like you saw a ghost." Dr. Roberts tries to suppress his laughter.

I give him a regretful smile and nod, agreeing to what he has said about me.

Dr. Roberts turns to Mr. Romano and sighs, "Laila is such a sweetheart. She panics about things too quickly and she's quick to blame herself for situations that are completely out of her hand. Your unannounced visit terrified the poor soul."

"Sir, please." I plead for him to stop embarrassing me, which makes him laugh.

Mr. Romano stays quiet, listening to Dr. Roberts chatter on.

I take this chance to analyze Mr. Romano for myself. His presence is no joke. The second I looked up, I felt like he made me regret mistaking him for someone else with just one look. He carries an aura of someone who's assertive and confident.

His suit is a light grey matched with a white classic shirt and a grey tie. The sleeves of his suit are tight enough to outline his very toned biceps. He's a perfectionist, I can tell right away. There's not a single wrinkle or speck of dust on his clothes. His formal black shoes are shinning so bright that I swear I could see reflections of the room on them. The point is that he dresses like he's worth a million dollars.

The aroma around him smells like one of those really luxurious scents that sort of attract you to someone. You know when someone smells so good that it pulls you in? That's the magnetic fragrance coming from him.

As I look up to examine his face, it didn't disappoint. His features are sharp, masculine and attractive. Have you ever seen a razor-edge? That's how sharp his jawline is. One touch of that and a cut is surely to occur.

His luscious blonde hair cleanly swept to one side. His eyes, my goodness, his eyes. They're a hazel but not quite. When he shifts, the room lights reflect onto his eyes, showing specks of forest green mixed with the dominant hazel colour.

My eyes drop to his lips, which are quite pink and moisturized. I unconsciously place my finger on my lips to feel that it's cracked and dry. Tragic, I think. His look so plump and— oh my... how long have I been staring at him for? I quickly look away from him and pretend to look through something on my computer.

Maryam has just finished up a patient and comes to the front desk, "Laila? Who's this?"

"I think a friend of Dr. Roberts. His name is... uh... Mr. Alexander Romano, if I remember correctly." I answer.

"Is he now?" Maryam is clearly checking him out.

I lightly jab her with my elbow, "Don't get caught staring." I whisper.

Maryam lowers her head to come closer to my ears, "Isn't he really attractive? Omg."

"Shhh. He's standing right there." I start panicking again.

Maryam rolls her eyes. "I'm not talking ill of him. What is he going to do? Yell at me for saying he's good looking?"

"I—I don't know." I finally say. She's right, she isn't saying anything unpleasant about him.

"Ah, Dr. Ali." Dr. Roberts ushers Maryam over to them. "Meet the man funding our clinic, Alexander Romano, also my closest friend. Alex, this is Dr. Maryam Ali."

"Do men have a tough time saying best friend?" Maryam rolls her eyes at Dr. Roberts, who's grinning at her. She turns to Mr. Romano and gives him a polite smile, "Good afternoon, Mr. Romano. It's great to finally meet the man who provided us with such a great opportunity. Thank you"

Mr. Romano reaches out his hand, "It's wonderful to meet his colleagues as well."

"Uh—I—" Maryam puts a hand on her chest, to show respect.

She was about to say how she cannot shake his hand, however, Dr. Roberts interrupts. "Dr. Ali can't shake hands for religious reasons."

"Oh, that's quite alright. I understand and respect her for that." Mr. Romano says.

Maryam smiles, "Thank you again for everything, Mr. Romano.

Mr. Romano nods, "It's not a problem. I'm glad I was able to help. James is someone I trust, therefore, helping him is an honour."

Maryam looks taken back by Mr. Romano's extreme politeness and professionalism with his words.

Mr. Romano peaks over Maryam's shoulder to look at me. "James, you didn't formally introduce me to the miss over at your front desk."

He's staring at me with something playing in his eyes. Staring isn't the right word for what he's doing right now. I mean, it is staring but not quite.  His eyes are resting upon my frame, his blinking has slowed down as if to not miss anything. It gives an effect that is inviting yet dangerous. He smiles at me and I feel chills run down my spine, the smile isn't friendly yet it's not unpleasant either.

I stand up and introduce myself, "My name is Laila, Sir. Laila Khan."

- - -

A/N: oooooo. 👀 sorry this chapter isn't too long! I'll try to make up for it next chapter. 🖤

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!