[37]

Laila's POV

For the past few days after our wedding, I haven't seen Alex around. He comes and goes at odd hours because the hospital is always in need of their best doctor.

I have taken a hiatus from work because I started school again for my PhD. I've been mostly doing paid field work for research related to my degree and taking a mix of on-campus and online classes in between.

Even though I've been keeping myself busy, I can't help but feel a little sad that Alex and I didn't get to spend any time together. How am I supposed to get to know this man I call my husband if I don't get any time with him?

I tap my pen on my notebook as my thoughts drift away while I read my textbook. I'm jolted awake by my phone ringing.

Maryam's trying to FaceTime me. I look at the clock to see that it's lunch time.

I haven't spoken to Maryam for a few days because both of us became extremely busy. This is the longest I've gone without talking to her.

I pick up the phone excitedly. "Maryam!"

"SHOW ME YOUR CAR!" She squeals, her face is spread in a grin.

"Wow, my God, I missed you, Laila! Oh, awe, I missed you too, Maryam! Glad you still care about me." I play out the greeting for her.

"Yeah, yeah. I've seen your face for the past 20+ years, I didn't miss it that much. The car, on the other hand, I've never seen." She says.

I pout.

"I'm kidding, Laila! Obviously, I missed you! I missed you so much that I watched videos of us for the past few days. You know it drives me insane when I don't see or hear from you for more than a few hours." She blows a kiss through the screen.

"Apology accepted." I giggle.

"Is she showing the car? Show me!" I hear James' loud voice.

"Put on your scarf! Quick! Dr. Hannah Montana is coming!" Maryam says.

I already had a scarf wrapped around my shoulders so I quickly draped it over my head.

"Good afternoon, Dr. Roberts. I'm glad to see that you missed me as well. I can tell I'm very prioritized by you two." I say sarcastically. "I'm also glad to see that you two haven't killed each other in my absence." I tease him.

"Sorry, Laila. I do miss you. I'm probably seconds away from being murdered by Dr. Ali here, I'm living life on the edge every second I spend with her." He laughs as Maryam smacks him with a folder that was on a nearby table.

"Ow!" He flinches.

Maryam rolls her eyes.

"Anyways, I heard also got your hands on a car that rarely anyone has so I would really appreciate it if you could please show it to us." James pleads.

"You two seem to really love me. I'm hanging up. I'm not showing either of you selfish people the car!" I frown.

"We're kidding, Laila!" Maryam laughs.

"Okay, but am I kidding?" James raises an eyebrow.

I sigh. "Let's go take a virtual tour, then, shall we?"

I grab the keys from the key holder on the wall beside the door that leads to the garage. I parked the car inside because I'm scared one scratch on it will probably hurt my soul.

I fiddle around to find the garage light switch and turn them on. I open the driver door and the left side passenger door wide open.

"It's blacked out! That looks gorgeous!" James says as I pan the camera around the car, not sure how to show it.