[58]

A/N: hi, guys! I promised an early update so here it is! Enjoy! ❤️

- - -

Laila's POV

"You didn't know?" I ask.

"No, I know but he didn't kill his uncle... at least not on purpose. It was self-defence." James says.

"So, he did harm his uncle?" I ask.

James sighs. "I don't know why after everything that's ever happened to Alex, his father is supporting the uncle and not his own son. It makes me sick."

I stand there, staring at James in confusion. "Wait, so are you going to tell me what happened or?"

"I'm so glad you watched the footage and cleared your misconceptions about Alex. He's a complete douchebag but he's not a wicked person." James changes the subject.

So many secrets, so many dark secrets. My mind is spinning with the possibilities. And now there's a murdered uncle to put on my list of  things that's eating away at my brain.

"So, that's a no? You're not going to tell me?" I cross my arms over my chest and give him a questioning look.

"I—I would but I can't. It's not my secret to tell, you have to understand." He says. "But don't worry, I'm sure Alex is really close to opening up to you. I know he is."

I nod. He's right. It's not his secret to tell. I'm still very grateful to him for going out of his way to clear up the misunderstandings I had about Alex.

"Sorry, you're right. It would be best if I wait for  Alexander The Great himself to open up to me." I compare Alex to the Greek king to lighten up the atmosphere.

"He'd be a horrible King; he's so stuck up all the time." James adds to the joke.

"Oh, and don't forget his need to be perfect all the time. The number of people who'd get fired every second at the castle would be infinite." I laugh.

James bursts into laughter. "You really didn't hold back."

"I didn't." I giggle.

"Now what? Are you going to speak to him?" James asks as we walk towards our cars.

I nod. "Whenever he's ready, I'd love to talk to him."

"When will that be?" He asks.

"Not sure. Ask Alexander the Great." I smile.

James chuckles. "Point taken. I'll see what he's up to."

Before I opened the driver's door, I ask James. "How is Alex? He wasn't in a great state when I left."

He glides his hand through his hair. "He's... alive. I haven't seen him much, he doesn't come home anymore. He basically lives at the hospital, busying himself in his beloved work."

That makes me frown but I give James a sad smile. "Sounds just like Dr. Romano, his medical work is his life."

"It is." He agrees. "Anyways, I'll see you soon. Call me if you need anything else."