[40]

Alexander's POV

I didn't know where to begin so I asked Dr. Ali about Laila's preferences when it comes to traveling. And she let me know that Laila is fond of the colder season. She also prefers natural scenic views.

I planned a weekend away from the busy city life. I didn't have time to plan anything outside of the country so I chose another province inside the country instead: Alberta.

Banff National Park in Alberta is the one James recommended. He said that the park is as scenic as it can get during the winter and it's absolutely breathtaking.

If he's wrong, I'll fucking kill him because that would have been a waste of my time and money.

"Alex... it's simple, touch my soul and everything else will flow. Simply just marrying me will not create some kind of special bond between us when the marriage wasn't made from the heart."

My mind wouldn't stop thinking about what she said. It's distractingly bothersome. I couldn't stop thinking about how it upsets her whenever I touch her. The thought that she might never reciprocate my touch drives me absolutely insane.

"Have you tried to get to know me? Have you tried to... I don't know... maybe find out what my favourite food is? My favourite colour? My favourite song?"

It angers me, irritates me, all I want to do is fucking rip off her clothes and make her body mine.

Nothing has ever stopped me before from getting what I want but every time I try to get my way with her, something stops me. An invisible force constrains me from touching her further, to not hurt her.

I've fucking had it with this bullshit. If this trip doesn't make things work, it will not be good for either of us.

"Doctor? Are you okay?" One of the nurses asks me with concern.

"I'm fine. I'll be in the operating room in a few minutes." I reply.

She nods and leaves.

I don't know how long I can keep my demons from consuming every part of me until I have no control over myself, until I have no control over what I do to her.

• • •

Laila's POV

"Ma'am, your luggages will be transported inside the aircraft shortly. Dr. Romano will be waiting for you in the waiting room." The driver says to me, probably because I look clueless.

"Do you know if he's already here, by any chance?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "No, sorry, Ma'am."

He leads me to the luxurious waiting room, which also has complimentary lunch items. We're at the same airport as the one we used for the trip to Prague, which means we're probably using his personal jet.

I've been eyeing the food station for the past few minutes and finally decide to eat. They have pastas, grilled chicken, steamed veggies, boiled eggs, noodles—just everything. This is impressive for airport food.

Within 10 minutes, I somehow manage to eat everything on the menu. And since no one's here to judge me, it made it even better.