[7]

Laila's POV

I start shaking, "I'm s-sure he's a busy m-man. I can just leave it with you and—"

The woman's expression softens when she realizes that I'm more petrified than anything. Her features look more friendlier and kind now. She says, "I'm sorry, Ms. Khan. I cannot let you leave without seeing Mr. Romano as he has instructed me to have you seated inside."

I nod, understanding that this is not in her power to let me leave.

"Do I leave the car here or...?" I ask suddenly realizing I just left the car in the front.

"If I could have your keys, I can have someone park it in a more appropriate parking garage." She says with her hands out.

"Thank you." I say as I hand her the key.

As she opens the massive, heavy looking door, we are greeted by a man whom the woman hands the car keys over to. He leaves without exchanging any words with her as if he already knows what to do.

She guides me through the luxurious hallway that is immensely roomy and wide. Right above the entrance door is a large chandelier fit for an actual castle. I look down at the floor and it's sprawled with gorgeous white marble. I start to wonder if I'm supposed to be wearing my outdoor shoes on these sparkling white floor.

I never dreamt of ever stepping inside such a mansion before. I'm almost speechless because of how beautiful it is, the attention to every detail is breathtaking.

The woman guides me into what I assume is a living room type of space. I'm flabbergasted and almost dizzy because of how fancy everything is.

"Please, Ms. Khan, take a seat. Mr. Romano will be with you shortly." She ushers for me to sit.

Once I take a seat, she leaves the room. I was hoping she was going to offer me something to drink, however, she did not. My throat is as dry as it can be because of the stress of the situation I'm in and my water bottle is in the car. I didn't want to disturb her so I just didn't bother calling her back to ask for water.

I nervously sit there, picking away at the ends of my scarf. He wasn't supposed to be at home, I was supposed to just drop off the wallet and be on my way. I shouldn't have agreed to drop it off, I should have just made James do it. My day isn't going as I planned and it's only started.

My heart beat slowly picks up as anxiety kicks in. I can feel sweat forming on my palms from the tension of waiting for Mr. Romano. Just the thought of being alone with him makes my system go into a frenzy. What if he accuses me of stealing? I hope Maryam didn't take the money, I know she didn't, she wouldn't do that. What if I offend him? What if he hates me? What if—

"Good morning, Ms. Khan." I hear a cool, deep voice say.

My blood runs cold, and I swear you could hear the thudding of my heart out loud as if someone is holding a microphone against it.

I quickly jump up from my seat the second I hear the familiar voice. I don't even have look up to know he's here.

"G-good morning, Mr. Romano." I try to stabilize my voice because it's on the edge of stuttering.

"Please, sit." He says.

I do as he says. I slowly look up and honest to God I felt the wind being knocked out of my lungs. Somehow, the lighting of his house makes him even more attractive than he looked at the office. Mash'Allah (Allah has willed),

He's looks just as put together as last time. His blonde hair neatly swept to the side. The scent coming from him is just as attractive with notes of fruits, herbs, and woods. His eyes look more hazel today, maybe it's the indoor lighting?

However, he's dressed more casual today. He's in a off-white sweater and jeans but somehow manages to look professional.

He clears his throat, "James tells me I left something at his office the other day?"

I quickly snap out of my daydream. I grab my purse struggle to open the zipper of it, it's on the verge of breaking. After budging it a few times, it finally opens and reveals the wallet.

I'm sure my face is heating up from the difficulties of trying to open my purse zipper.

I was about hand him over the wallet when the woman comes in exactly at that moment. "I can take that for you, Mr. Romano." She says.

He looks at her with an expression I couldn't exactly read. "I think I am fine, Sophie."

She rapidly backs away as if she's afraid of something. Her reaction puts me on the edge, I grip the handles of my purse a little tighter.

When he takes the wallet, his hand brushed against mine for a split moment. Our eyes meet for a second, which felt like minutes. A small smile appears on his face, making me jolt away from the touch and look down.

"If that's everything, I'll be on my way." I say anxiously.

"I'm not a very good host. I did not offer you anything to eat or drink. Would you like anything?" He offers.

"Uh—No, I-I'm fine. I have a few errands to run so I should get going." I say in hopes that he'll agree.

"I insist." His tone changes from polite to slightly demanding.

Right on queue, Sophie enters with tray of water and snacks.

Now that she's already here with it, I can't possibly just leave. I wish I was more like Maryam, she would've just walked out without a second thought.

I nod in defeat. I was thirsty for a while anyways. I pick up the glass of water and take a few sips. The water tastes pretty normal, which is a good indication that it's not poisoned.

I look at the colourful macaroons decorated on the plates but I decide against it. No matter how delicious the food looks, I can't give in, just in case. This whole situation just feels sketchy to me.

"I would like to talk to you about something, Ms. Khan." Mr. Romano says.

I gulp, my throat feels dry again. I take a sip of the water again.

"Y-yes, of course." Please let me go.

"I have had someone look through your school records and I'm very impressed. You're a talented student, it seems like you enjoy the topic you're studying." He flashes a charming smile making my heart flutter.

"Thank you! Yes, I love my area of study. Psychology is something I've always been intrigued by. The study of the human behaviour is truly fascinating. And—" My hand flies to cover my mouth as I realize I'm blabbering on. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to chatter on about this."

He looks at me for a second without an expression then lets out a short chuckle. Ya Allah, his laugh is such a beautiful sound, it even enhances the features of his face to look even more handsome. I try to look down to not make my heart jump out of my chest.

"No, no, it is quite alright. You look delightful when you are talking passionately." The smile on his face is still present.

My face is beginning to heat up to the point where I'm glad I wore a little makeup today or else I would be visibly as red as a tomato. I don't dare to look him in the eye, knowing exactly how I'll probably melt under his gaze.

His expression turns serious, the smile on his face disappears. It's like if he's in business mode. "There is something else I noticed."

What else could he have noticed? Is there something on my account that brings up a red flag? Maybe that one professor who was a racist did something to my account. Oh goodness...

"Yes?" I ask, my heart thumping way too loud.

- - -

A/N: I know I'm taking this story pretty slowly but I want to take my time with the plot for this one. ☺️

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!