6

For some reason I felt like everything that I was involved in was meant to be in some way, that's why I never blamed Stefan for everything that's happened since I met him. I'm the doppelganger I would've come across a vampire eventually. Now sitting across the room watching Klaus sleep I was pretty sure this was supposed to happen, for some reason watching him sleep I could see the same thing I saw in my vision of him from the past. He just looked human there wasn't any murder in his eyes he just looked like him. I frowned seeing his expression change, whatever he was dreaming about was scaring him. I was shocked I didn't think Klaus was afraid of anything but being alone. Seems he's much more complicated than I thought, he was whimpering in his sleep turning on his side claws coming out and tearing at the sheets.

Whatever he was dreaming about was hurting him, I walked over carefully as he yelled out in pain I couldn't deny the way my heart lurched in pain knowing he was hurting. I touched his shoulder but as soon as my skin touched his he popped up and grabbed my neck squeezing tighter and tighter. I struggled to breath tapping on his arm trying to get him to loosen up. His harsh golden eyes stared into mine as he pulled me into his lap trying to kill me. Thankfully the look in his eyes got softer as he realized it was me, I took in a deep breath when he let my neck go "It's just me Klaus. It's ok it's just me" I whispered hoarsely rubbing my neck, he gently took my neck in his hands checking the damage, his touch setting off their normal flames in my skin.

"I'm sorry it's been a while since I've had one of those dreams" he whispered the last part to himself pulling the strings in my heart hard. I never felt more for him than I did right then, whatever his demons were they've been around for a long time "What were you dreaming about" he rubbed my neck some more before he stopped and sighed "That bleeding heart of yours never sleeps does it" I rolled my eyes realizing he'd never tell me. Whatever it was I was gonna have to find out about on my own "Well I'm going back to my chair now if you're quite finished trying to kill me" he gave me a look and let me go but when I made my move to go back to my chair he grabbed me again.

"You should get some rest love we're leaving for Georgia tomorrow" I watched his expression carefully knowing very well why he didn't want me to go back to the chair. I nodded and laid down next to him turning so my back faced him. He pulled me into his chest burying his face in my neck and took a deep breath "Good night Elena" I smiled a little the mark sending pleasure sparks throughout my body. Like always this was different from anything we had ever done, it felt so domestic. close to what I did with Matt and Stefan some days when I didn't want to sleep alone. I laughed a little to myself remembering what I was like when I first met Stefan. That Elena would probably have a heart attack right now. Eventually Klaus started to rub my arm with his thumb trying to make me sleep. I fought it but my body, as usual, fought against me and suddenly my eyes went heavy as his touch coaxed me to sleep.

I woke up laying on top of Klaus he was sleeping still, he looked peaceful again. His arms were wrapped around me face still buried in my neck. I sat up and smiled looking at him then my thoughts of the nightmare he had started haunting me again. What made him like that? I sat up a little stroking the side of his face and thinking of everything that woman had said to me in my dream. I still had trouble breathing in the fact that I had the power to truly save this man from all his demons, every last one including the one that haunts him at night. Wasn't sure how I'd go about that but I had to at least try. I don't know why but it was like everything in my body was telling me to help this man despite everything. It was then I realized he was wide awake and had been for the past 5 minutes, me being so deep in my thoughts hadn't even registered him staring right back at me. I tried not to smile feeling kind of stupid for getting caught stroking his face but hey shoot me.

"Penny for your thoughts milady" I rolled my eyes as he smirked at me "Are you always this annoying in the morning? If so I can't wait until we get to one of your houses I need to sleep in my own space again." he clutched his heart sarcastically as I rolled off him and got off the bed "Are you always so affectionate in the morning? If so I can only imagine what it'll be like to..." I glared at him already knowing where that was going. He put his hands up in surrender as I moved to pull my clothes from my suitcase. I wanted to change in the bathroom only to be pulled back by Klaus "Come now I've seen every last bit of you I'm sure changing in front of me is nothing at this point" I thought about it before turning to him "Yes it probably is you should change too" he smirked "Only if you help me" I smiled and inched closer "Sure" he flashed over to his clothes and I used the quick and minor distraction to run into the bathroom and locked the door.