16

It was a week now my body would barely get out of bed. Cami often brought me food and would talk to me for a few hours try to make me feel like I wasn't dying. I smiled weakly when she made jokes but ultimately she left. When she did the ache came back, my heart hurts like it remembers him like your arm hurts when it remembers what it used to have before being amputated. That dull pain. What I've felt since he died. I looked out the window knowing now what Damon felt like when he had his werewolf bite. I closed my eyes deciding to take a nap today for the first time in a while. I hadn't been sleeping lately, unable to I was plagued even in my dreams by him.

Today was no different. This one was special though "I miss you" he said rubbing my face "I miss you more" he bent down kissing me "Then wake up" I frowned snapping my eyes open to see nothing. He wasn't there. A few tears slipped down my face, I wanted him to be here. I yelled for Kol and he helped me stand. I wanted to see him. I needed to. I went downstairs and touched his casket feeling the ache stronger now. I opened the casket and stroked his face "Why did you leave me" I whispered before pulling away. But I pulled away too fast I cut my hand on the wood and a few drops landed on his face.

Out of the corner of his eye I saw him twitch. I frowned looking again to see his color change. He's not dead! My heart jumped and I clutched my body feeling pain shoot through it. He's been like this for weeks so if I'm going to wake him up he'll need more than a few drops. I owe him this at least, I knew what would happen if I did this. But for him I'd do anything I raked my arm harshly against the coffin blood seeping out the wound. I put it to his lips and held it there for a moment. Soon color rushed back to his skin and I could feel the bond get stronger and stronger. He grabbed my arm sinking his teeth in and taking deep pulls of my blood.

He pulls away savagely grabbing my other arm and drinking from that one as well when he finished I fell limp on the casket unable to move. He sat up and wiped his face looking around for a minute before looking at me. He paled and immediately rushed out of the casket pulling me in his arms. I smiled rubbing his face "I missed your eyes it's funny how you can miss someone's eyes" he laughed a little biting into his skin and putting his wrist to my lips. I drank what I could before I started to get sleepy. He kissed me softly running his fingers through my hair "Get some rest love you'll be fine" I shook my head violently, I didn't want to wake up yet.

"Elena you're too weak to stay up" I shook my head "No please! I don't wanna wake up. I like this dream, you can't leave me again" his expression softened and he kissed my forehead "I promise if you close your eyes I will be here when you wake up" I looked in his eyes searching for the sincerity I now knew how to find. He was being honest but I still couldn't do it. I didn't want to go to sleep I was fighting hard to stay up "Elena go to sleep" he said looking deep in my eyes. I nodded a little falling asleep realizing as sleep took over he'd compelled me.

I woke up with a start looking around frantically. I felt lighter for sure I didn't feel the usual weakness I'd grown accustomed to. I could feel the bond pulsing and humming like it use to. It was then my eyes set on the man looking out the window. Seeing him made me tear up and I wasted no time running to him. He caught me effortlessly wrapping me tightly in his arms. I pulled away for a moment just to look at him, he looked tired ironically all the rest he's gotten you'd think he'd be ok. He kissed me harshly pulling me flush against him. The kiss was long and slow he was savoring it and me. I smiled into the kiss pulling away after a moment and resting my forehead on his.

"I love you. And I'm sorry I never told you before. I should have said it a million times..." he cut me off kissing me again "Doesn't matter now love. All I care about is having you here now" I frowned "How long was I out" he shrugged "4 days" I nodded now understanding the look of restlessness on his face. He's been watching me round the clock making sure I woke up. I wrapped my arms around him just breathing him in now. Having him basically gone I didn't realize how many things I missed about him. He seemed to do the same burying his face in my neck trailing his nose up and down it. I bit my lip slightly pulling away and sharing a heated kiss. As soon as our lips collided we'd known what was coming.

We couldn't keep our hands off each other. It was slower than usual we were making it last, wanting for the moment to never end. It still felt like at any moment one of us could lose the other. And we weren't taking each other for granted anymore, I was done fighting him and I would hope he's done fighting me. At this point I just wanted to love him and I could through the way his body moved and his kisses he needed me as well. It was just like the day we started this, just as intense and just as meaningful. I felt the bond wrapping around us both, having it back I didn't realize how empty I felt without it.

In the morning I turned a little and looked up at him smiling a little. He had his arms wrapped around me impossibly tight but I didn't mind. I never wanted to move and currently I didn't see the point in it. No reason to ruin a good thing. I drew tiny circles on the arm he had wrapped around my chest and leaned into him. All I could think about is how relieved I was that it was over, that we had made it through the worst now everything else should be easy. He opened one eye and smirked "I think you're even more affectionate this morning than before" I rolled my eyes  "Says the man holding onto me for dear life" I said sitting up and hitting him with a pillow.

"Well I can't help missing the way you fit against me love" I blushed biting my lip and kissing him "Never leave me again" I said my face going serious. He kissed the back of my hand rubbing it with his thumb "Wouldn't dream of it" I smiled a little but our moment was ruined by Esther coming in. She smiled at the two of us but gave me a look that said she wanted to talk. I nodded and turned back to Klaus "Don't move. I'll be right back" he chuckled "Where would I go" I rolled my eyes but got up and followed her out of the room. Wonder what happened now.