12

A Year Later...

"Lena I need help with these orders" I sighed and pushed myself to work a little harder. Cami had me working like a mad woman today. There were a bunch of people here today, don't know why nothing special going on just seems like a busy day I guess. I rushed my last order heading to the bar where Marcel sat laughing at me. I rolled my eyes punching him in the arm "What?! Can't blame me. I love watching you work. It looks exhausting" I shook my head "It's torture" I said "Hey" Cami shouted from the back making me laugh. I poured this guy a drink and walked back over to Marcel who was sipping scotch while he watched me work "Sorry Cami" I said before turning back to practically my best friend.

Marcel and I are closer than I would've ever thought, a lot about us matches. Orphans, lost without a place to call home. Now that we have each other it's like we call each other home. Cami thinks we should date but I'm not sure. Marcel is really cute, and sweet, and smart and literally everything a girl could want but I can't. The stupid bond is still in the way, though not as overpowering as it used to be the bond has reduced to a small buzz in my brain. It doesn't burn as much when I touch someone like it used to. I'm learning that more I feed into the worse it gets. Marcel snapped in my face and I blinked coming out of my daze "There you go thinking about him again" I sighed rolling my eyes and sticking my tongue out at him.

"I wasn't actually I was thinking about what me and my awesome best friend are doing today" he smiled and shrugged "I don't know you got lucky and you're best friend is basically a King so we can do whatever you like little miss Elena" I smiled and went back to work seeing Cami come out of inventory. I rushed around for most of the day but Shelby came early so around 2:30 I was done. Marcel watched me work most of my shift he disappeared to handle small disputes here and there but essentially he was with me. We were walking down Bourbon Street now listening to music and talking about nothing. I closed my eyes and leaned on him "So tell me why is it that you've been here a year and haven't talked to any of the fine gentlemen this city has to offer" I looked at him laughing a little "I don't need another fine gentlemen around I got you" he smiled but didn't say anything, I could tell he wanted to ask something I wasn't sure what though.

"I know but... I mean like a boyfriend" he was hesitating "What do you wanna ask M I won't murder you for asking" he chuckled and breathed out "Go out with me tonight. I just want to show you at least once what being with someone can be like if you just try. There's an angels and demons party tonight we should go" I bit my lip thinking about it and as I thought I realized why I'd been so hesitant about it in the first place. It was like my final step away from Klaus, the end of that chapter. I wasn't sure I was ready to really close it, which is stupid. I should be ready. No reason why I shouldn't be ready but here I am.

"Ok let's do it" he seemed so taken aback he tripped a little before he spoke "Really" I nodded "Yea I mean I need to start living my life like I said I would when I left" I smiled at him and he smiled back just as wide "Alright then I'll be back later tonight to pick you up be ready and wear something cute" he said quickly before disappearing into the crowd. I wonder if this is a date, it's a date right? Oh no it's a date. What do I do? I rushed back to the bar finding Cami deep in counselor conversation with some girl who was practically trashed. She saw me excusing herself before walking over "What's up did you forget something" she asked "Pretty sure Marcel just asked me out.... And I said yes" her jaw dropped for a minute before she squealed.

"Finally! Ok come on we have to make you look super cute" we spent the rest of the day trying on outfits and fixing my hair. Before we knew it Marcel texted me he was on his way, which practically meant he was already here. I looked in the mirror turning a little "You look amazing" I heard from behind me my heartbeat rushing in my chest "Thank you. You don't look so bad yourself" he looked good in his suit with red accents "I guess you're a devil" he shrugged "You too I expected you to be a little angel like we both know you are" I shrugged making us both smile "Maybe but I wanted to do something different" he held up his arm and I laced mine with his walking out with him. The party was at his place surprisingly I watched the people dance around and laughed. It reminded me of the parties I used to go with Caroline and Bonnie.