#44: Common Beliefs

Related to #13: Religion

Funny. Topic 13 is religion. I wonder if it's unlucky...

Common Belief: 13 is an unlucky number while 7 is a lucky number.

Anyway, common beliefs can affect how your character acts towards certain things or how they act in certain situations.

Example from a project of mine: mages are commonly believed to be evil. So, if anyone does the littlest bit of magic, they are seen as a mage and, therefore, evil.

And because of this MC is terrified when they meet someone who can do a bit of magic even if that person is trying to save MC's life.

Now you get the idea? ;)

What are some common beliefs in your world?

What are some common beliefs which are particular to certain races/species?

Examples:

Maybe dragons believe flying backwards is a sign for insanity? Maybe elves believe that its good luck if they see a human? Maybe humans believes all non-humans are immortal and god-like?

How do these beliefs affect how they live their day-to-day lives?

Examples:

Maybe because dragons believe flying backwards is a sign for insanity, if they lose something while flying, they don't retrace their route until they find somewhere to land so they can walk back to search for the thing they dropped.

Maybe because humans believe all non-humans are immortal and god-like, when they see a dead fairy, they think the dark times are upon them? 

That's a little extreme...but you see what I mean, right?