Yatesy

Y/N

"y/n get your vest, you're on the jet ski with me," Yatesy calls out, entering the tower already wearing his vest.

You jump up from the seat and hand Harries your binoculars thankful to get out of the tower.

"What do I owe this please Yatesy, Hoppo has me on tower duty even though my wrist healed two weeks ago."

Yatesy laughs, "What the boss man doesn't know won't hurt him. Plus Deano mentioned there might be a shark in the bay so we're going to check it out."

You stop fastening your life vest and stare at Yatesy, "oh hell to the no, I'm going back up to the tower."

Before you can leave Yatesy stands in front of you stopping you from leaving, "you go in the water on a daily basis y/n, you need to get over your fear of sharks one day."

You huff, "Kerrbox is allowed to be scared so why can't I?"

Yatesy shakes his head, "because you're more man than he'll ever be."

You chew your lip, "you know, I feel like I need to remind you that you can die. You do these things like you think you're immortal, but they could kill you."

"Ah it's cute that you're concerned about my safety y/n, but it takes a lot to beat me."

You swat him away and march towards the jet ski, he liked making fun of you because you always gave the same reaction.

You get the jet ski into the water, managing to get in the driver's seat, leaving Yatesy to sit behind you.

"I see a school of fish over there y/n," Yatesy points to your left.

You steer the ski in that direction and yep there was a massive school of fish, "I'll radio it in if you dip your head in and look for sharks."

Yatesy nods, and you fiddle with the radio attached to your vest, "ski to tower, we've found the fish and Yatesy's about to take a look."

"Keep us updated and we'll reopen the beach y/n," Harries responds.

Turning around you see Yatesy on the board attached to the ski with his head dunked in the water. How he could just do that when there was a threat of sharks was beyond you.

Suddenly a large wave hits the side of the ski and Yatesy falls off the board and into the centre of the fish.

"YATESY!" you scream.

Clambering over to the board, you watch the water for signs of Yatesy but he still hadn't surfaced. This was bad, where was he? Was he in trouble? You needed to radio this in and get someone else out here.

"BOO!" Yatesy bursts out of the water laughing, but you lose your balance and fall backwards off the board and into the water.

You come back to the surface and scowl at Yatesy who had dragged himself back onto the board, "that wasn't funny, I thought you were seriously hurt."

He stops laughing and you take note that his face had turned deadly serious which wasn't like him, "stay perfectly still y/n and don't make any sudden movements."

You glance around you at the clear water and all colour drains from your face, as you see a shark swimming circles around you. This was your worst fear come true, "oh my god Yatesy! Get me out of here right now! I'm going to die! Then if I die I'm coming back to haunt your ass!"

"If he's going to get you, then he's going to get me as well."

Next thing you know Yatesy jumps in the water when he should have radioed the tower and told Harries what was going on. He pops up in front of you and grabs your hand, before dragging you back to the jet ski.

"You get on first y/n," he says, trying to stay calm but there was panic in his voice.

You scramble back onto the jet ski and offer him a hand, "now you get on because that shark is coming this way."

Yatesy yelps and you've never seen someone move so fast in your life. You have to sit down to stop him from knocking you back off. Once you're both on the ski all you can do is watch the water as the shark circles the jet ski.

"Okay, you'll only hear me say this once y/n and that's that you're right. I'm not immortal and sharks are scary."

Hearing him say you were right was so foreign because he never admitted he was in the wrong, "so it took a near-death experience to change your mind."

"Are you guys okay? What happened?" Harries concerned voice comes over the radio.

You glance at Yatesy and the two of you burst into a fit of laughter at the whole situation. He was your best friend out of all the lifeguards even if he did try to kill you from time to time.