Meeting the Agents

Gunter's hands shook as he read the letter. Anna noted that his eyes were misty as he slid it across the table for her to read. Anna squeezed his hand gently. When she finished reading she folded the letter and placed it in her purse.

Gunter took a deep breath, his jacket straining. "Well not that we know my father will help us, what is the plan?"

The male agent smiled grimly, "We will continue to watch the address we sent your letter from. If the Gestapo do not arrive to arrest you we will know that you father has not betrayed you." His eyes scanned the small cafe they were seated in. "If he is able to restore you to your rank in the German army your next step will be to infiltrate vital intelligence and relay it back to us."

The statuesque blonde agent broke in, "What Anthony means, is that we will continue to take precautions until your father is able to get you back into a position of power. Despite his efforts Heinrich Himmler or any of the Gestapo could still arrest you. We want to make sure that we dont send you and Helena into a trap."

Gunter nodded. "I trust my father. But what you say is wise. So many of the country has turned on one another, I've seen it myself. Neighbors and friends ousting those among them that were jewish."

"What part must I play?" Anna asked quietly, her dark blue eyes serious.

Anthony met her gaze. "Although you will not be privy to military affairs you can still infiltrate the women's auxiliary. Gossip is some of the best intelligence we receive. Also you will accompany Gunter to dinners and such amongst the high ranking officers. Troop movements, camp locations, planned liquidations of ghettos, all of it could be useful."

Marta grinned. "Men love to talk to a pretty girl, you will be surprised at all the secrets they will share."

Anna blushed at the implication. "I dont think..."

Gunter frowned. "Nine, absolutely not."

Anthony shook his head. "Nothing like that, just be friendly to the officers, and the wives."

Marta laughed, the sound almost seductive in the crowded cafe. "I didnt mean to offend."

Gunter stood from the table, "if there is nothing else?" He said brusquely.

"No, we will be in touch. Travel arrangements will be made." Anthony answered as he helped Marta don her fox stole.

"You both leave first, we will follow at a distance." Marta instructed.

Gunter helped Anna to her feet and with a hand on the small of her back ushered her towards the door. He looked back at Anthony and Marta and scowled.

Marta winked.

"Come now Marta, dont be so coarse." Anthony chided.