Dining with Serpents

Gunter's father led the way to a sleek black car. A chauffeur quickly exited the drivers side and opened the passenger side door. Johanna slid in effortlessly followed by Helena. Gunter stowed their luggage in the trunk and then with some effort squeezed into the back seat. Heidrick had sensibly taken the front seat.

The young private expertly pulled away from the curb and headed towards Berlin. There was a brief moment of silence, and then both Gunter and Hendrick spoke at once.

"Father I..."

"Gunter..."

Gunter smiled and motioned his father to speak first. Hendrick frowned and then began. "There's been some talk you understand. The business with Dr. Mengale and the subsequent abandonment of your post."

Gunter's jaw tightened. "Yes, I understand Papa. If I may explain?"

Helena squeezed his hand reassuringly. "Herr Stieglitz, it's entirely my fault. The doctor developed an en tendre for me whilst we were working alongside him in the camp. He became quite unhinged..."

"He had one of the camp workers poison Helena, causing her to miscarry our child." Gunter added.

Johanna gasped. "Oh my gracious!"

Gunter continued, "He then had me arrested and held a farce of a court marshal where he ordered me executed. Presumably so he could have Helena to himself "

"He was going to..." Helena began, her voice shaking.

"I luckily dragged myself from my grave in time to prevent it. But pardon me if I wasn't going to subject my wife to further indignities, or risk her being hurt worse."

Gunter 's father turned to meet his gaze, fury in his ice blue eyes. "If the man were not already dead, I'd kill him myself."

"Danke Papa." Gunter mumbled as he traced small circles on Helena's palm.

Johanna patted Helena on her leg, tears in her eyes. "You poor, poor dear!"

"We shall set this to rights, don't worry about it ." Heidrick assured them. "When we arrive you and Helena may take your old room. Go and refresh yourselves, then you may join us downstairs."

"Yes Papa, thank you." Gunter muttered. "Oh look Helena, we've arrived."

Helena turned her attention to the three story townhouse before them, the red brick was clean and the white pillars holding up the portico pristine. The black shutters contrasted nicely with the brick and a red swastika banner hung from a flagpole just outside the front door. "You have a lovely home." She murmured demurely.

"Thank you dear." Johanna smiled. "Although Gunter always favored the country house."

"Yes , he had mentioned that." Helena replied as the chauffeur opened her door.

Gunter helped his mother out and then lumbered after her, his broad shoulders making the doorway appear comically tight. Helena stifled a giggle. Gunter shot her one of his boyish half smiles.

Johanna was looking at them fondly. "Oh Gunter I'm so glad you've found someone."

He pecked her fondly on the cheek. "As am I Muter."

Heidrick proceeded them into the foyer, gesturing at the grand staircase curving up the wall. "Go refresh yourselves, we will be enjoying brandies in the library once you have finished."

Gunter ushered Helena up the stairs and down the carpeted hall to the last door on the left. He opened it with flourish and she stepped into his childhood room. As she expected there was a large bed with comfortable masculine coverings. A bookshelf lined one wall opposite a very comfortable looking leather chair. A few model planes hung from the ceiling on fishing wire. "It's exactly as I imagined it would be." Helena laughed as she removed her hat and jacket. "What should I wear to dinner?"