Hide and Seek

Anna went about her morning routine in a daze, she got up, then bathed and dressed as usual. She brushed her hair and cleaned her teeth, adding a small amount of costly cosmetics to distract from her gaunt, haunted face. A bit of blush lent color to her pale cheeks, red lipstick made her smile seem genuine. Mascara made her large eyes seem brighter, bringing out the lovely shade of dark blue. Her once chestnut hair was now blonde, the molten gold making her seem more German. Her disguise made her feel as if she were someone else entirely. The only time she felt like Anna was in Gunter's arms.

Her name was Helena now, she mustn't forget that. Anna was dead, along with her parents, her friends, even her teachers. She was adrift in a sea of predators, barely treading water as she sensed the sharks swimming below.

Sometimes the panic clawed at her throat making it hard to breathe. She cried at night as Gunter held her, his loving arms holding her close in sleep as silent tears tracked down her face. She loved him, loved his goodness and kindness to her. But she knew that even he was capable of terrible things. The thought bothered her, creeping into her subconscious and troubling her dreams. The fear never far from the surface.

She tried to avoid Gunter's mother. She was always so incredibly chipper and full of news. News of Germany's victories and progress. The thought of such a pleasant woman being so happy about the mass murder of hundreds of thousands of people sickened her.

*Coming back to add more!*