Chapter One

"One, two three!" Clarke shouted, feeling a little queasy as she lifted the small, fallen tree trunk up onto her shoulders, a line of others helping in front and behind her. It was incredibly heavy but Clarke and the others were just about managing, her own muscles now prominent under her pale skin.

Clarke was sure that everyone here would be able to walk back to camp with their eyes closed; they had taken this route many times over. She was almost at home here on Earth, the familiarity beginning to build about this place. It made her feel less homesick for everyone up in space.

When they arrived back at camp, all hands were on deck. Helix and Framka; an 'Ark' couple, came walking over from the edge of the tree line, picking up their axes as they did so. Clarke left them to it, exhausted already from the earlier than usual start. It was about 10 a.m judging by the sun but it was 5 a.m when Clarke's group went out to collect the trunk that they had cleaned and chopped the night before. The mornings felt like they were getting earlier. Summer was what was causing it.

It was such a hot day, Clarke was sweltering. The whole week in fact hadn't been the coolest. She hadn't experienced weather like this in the few months they had been on Earth. Clarke felt ill from it. Really ill. Stomach churning ill and it had been going on all week. This time felt the worst. It was always so sudden. She was going to be sick. Sweat ran down her face as had to run to the edge of the camp, darting her way past anyone who was out of bed and in her way. "Nearly there." She thought, as the leafy green of the trees started to become welcoming shade from the searing heat. The bile was burning her throat, moving quicker and quicker upwards before she had to just let it all go.

She puked right against a nearby tree, just out of the camp's boundaries. Clarke had to keep in mind to try and dodge any ricocheting vomit but her body didn't want to know. Little splatters formed on her pants and then on the bottom of her shirt as her body let go of every last bit. She felt utterly washed out. Her body ached and she needed a wash. What if she had caught some form of cold? Or an exotic Earth disease? Her mind just rambled on until she had the sanity to try and stop the stream of thought, telling herself she was being silly. She pulled herself together before making her way to the river, thankful she was on the right side of camp to get there. She didn't have to be seen again like this.

The path down to the river was actually quite cool. It was sheltered by the massive canopy above, keeping out the 'vomit inducing' sunshine. She laughed a little to that brief little thought. At least she still had a sense of humor at such ill times. As soon as Clarke saw the glint of the inviting water, she started to make a run for it while she ripped off her clothes in the process. She ended the line of clothes with her pants falling roughly at the water's edge before jumping in. "Oh, this feels so good." she thought as she splashed around in the river. Her clothes would be the next thing to be cleaned but not before she stayed a little longer, letting the water wash over her, the smell of vomit no where to be found.

Glossary: Ark Couple - Self explanatory I think but basically they're any of the '100' who were already in relationships (with a fellow '100') before landing on Earth.