Chapter Ten

Clarke

After a week of painstaking waiting for the 'Salutis' ship to be sent down, the day finally arrived, everyone's hopes for the ship had finally payed off. Their life filled with incurable diseases and hunger was finally over. A helping hand for their lives on Earth.

Clarke was cleaning dishes when she first heard the news of the ship's sighting, Octavia was the one to break it to her with utter excitement. She burst into the tent, just about managing to contain the news until she was inside.

"Clarke! The ship, it's here, it's arrived. I saw it while I was taking a break; it..err...landed just behind that ridge in the distance. I've just told Bellamy and he's told me to come and get you; he's got his hands full at the moment." Octavia tried to calm herself down from giving Clarke the news but she wasn't able to. In fact, she even seemed to be jumping from excitement as she stood on the spot just inside the tent. It was understandable when you knew what one of the things Octavia had asked to be sent down on the ship was. It wasn't food or water, not even the medicine or blankets that was causing all this excitement; it was an old childhood necklace her mother made for her when she was seven. To look at, it wasn't anything, just a wire strip, curled into a circle which was simply decorated with a green glass bead, the bead having been given to her mother, allegedly by Octavia's biological father but to Octavia, it meant the world. The only thing she still owned, that was a comforting reminder of her dead mother.

Clarke instantly dropped the plate she was holding, down into the cold water before spinning around quickly towards Octavia. A smile appeared bright on her lips, her eyes showing her happiness towards the news. "Really? Right. Well, we'll need to announce the news to everyone as soon as possible, I'll gather everyone together. Could you get my rucksack from my tent?" Clarke asked, as she quickly cleaned the last plate before placing it on the stack by the sink.

"Sure." Octavia replied, that simple word sounding bright and cheerful.

"Thank you." Clarke smiled, as she shook off the excess water from her hands. She then made her way towards Octavia before walking side by side out the tent with her.

As they walked out of the tent, Octavia's face drew darker, a worried expression appeared on her face. She lent in closer towards Clarke before speaking quietly towards her. "Urmm, there's something I need to tell you. The rumor going around camp about you being...pregnant, well people are really talking about it. There's a few 'out there' theories floating around the gossip pages. I think you might need to talk to everyone about it, just to set the record straight." Octavia moved away but kept her gaze on Clarke, waiting to hear her reply.

Clarke had known that soon enough, the camp would eventually find out, someone would have heard the various arguments shouted about in the last couple of weeks. It was bound to happen but she hoped it could have been on her own terms, in her own way but now, it was out of her hands. She would announce it to everyone in the next few days, when the fresh excitement of the ship landing had gone; people would be listening to her that little bit better. "Thank you for informing me, I'll sort that out soon enough but for now, the ship's the main priority. Meet me outside the drop ship in a few minutes."

Octavia nodded at Clarke before they both parted ways. Clarke weaved her way through the people of camp, telling a few along the way that she was going to make an announcement but she ignored all the whispering and tittering coming from a good group of people. She had a job to inform camp about the ship but that was it. There was far more important things to discuss than Clarke's personal life.

Once she stood on the slope of the drop ship, she took a deep breath in before watching as the camp starting to congregate in front of her, gazes beginning to shift towards her direction. People still carried on talking but most seemed to want to listen to Clarke. She hadn't made that many solo announcements in a while, so it felt a bit strange to not have Bellamy there standing by her but he was busy, so it was up to her to say. Clarke had noticed a few people seemed to not be here, namely Raven, Thalia and Rex which caused her to wonder where they were but maybe they were just busy, like Bellamy, with other things. Clarke scanned the scene in front of her once more before letting words fall out from behind her lips, each word resonating through the crowd.