trente-huit

THERE was a knock heard on the Zieglers' door, Mackenzie rushing to grab it, believing it might be Johnny back from his trip with his parents, but it unfortunately wasn't.

"Hey." The person said when Mackenzie opened the door.

Mackenzie frowned, "Oh, hey Ashton."

"Can I... come in?"

"Um," Mackenzie trailed off, looking behind her, "Sure, whatever." She opens the door wider, him coming in and taking a seat on the couch.

"So... um, why are you here?"

"Just came to see you."

Mackenzie sat next to him, smiling, "That was nice of you, but I don't appreciate what you did."

Ashton's eyebrows furrow, "D-Did what-"

"Don't act silly, Ashton... I know you told my mom about Johnny and I."

Ashton's eyes widen, "Kenz... I didn't mean to-"

"Save it. I thought we were friends!"

"We are! Of course we are! It's just that... Johnny told me something about you, and I was trying to protect you."

"What do you mean?"

"He told me he doesn't care about, and that he's only with you for the... you know?"

"Ashton, that's not true! Johnny wouldn't do that to me..."

"Then why did he sleep with Sophia when you guys were together?"

Mackenzie's bottom lips quiver when she hears the news,
"W-What?"

"It's true, she told me herself. I'm so sorry Kenz. I shouldn't have done that, I'm so stupid!"

"Hey, hey." Mackenzie grabs onto his back as he bends over to complain, "No. You're not stupid, I promise you're not stupid. Thank you... for telling me the truth."

Ashton sits up, seeing Mackenzie with watery eyes, and he moves in to hug her, "It's alright, I'm here now, Kenzie."

She hugs him back gratefully, sniffling into his white t-shirt, "I can't believe he'd do this to me..."

"That's okay," He mumbles from behind her back, a smirk appearing on his face, "I'm here, now."

$

I-