Chapter 3

You didn't see Will for the rest of the day, but the emotions you felt from him lingered and made you anxious.

You felt fear, pain, hatred? You didn't understand, but you knew it wasn't Will, the Will you knew.

"Mike we need to talk. Is it okay if I come ove-," "Yeah. My parents won't mind," Mike cuts you off, already knowing your question as you both walk out of school.

He looks down to the ground as you walk together out to your bikes.

The ride to his house is mostly silent, awkwardness in the air since he raised his tone with you earlier in front of Lucas and Dustin.

Once you got to his house, you set your bike down in the garage, next to his.

As you walk into the kitchen with Mike, you are greeted by Mrs. Wheeler and Mikes little sister, Holly.

Glancing at Holly, you see her motions for you to pick her up, so you do so, bouncing her around and making her giggle.

While you are distracted with Holly, you don't pay attention to the small talk between Mike and Mrs. Wheeler. You are too busy tickling Holly and hearing her adorable giggles.

As Mike heads upstairs to set down his back pack, Mrs. Wheeler looks towards you and points in your direction with her spatula.

"Dinner is almost ready. Can you set Holly in her chair for me, please?" Mrs. Wheeler asks before her attention goes back to the food.

You simply hum a 'mhm' as you smile and put Holly in her kiddy seat near the edge of the table.

While you finish your job, Mrs. Wheeler sets the full plates down around the dinner table, four in total and a smaller one for Holly. It seems Mr. Wheeler isn't present, and neither is Nancy.

Mike makes it downstairs just in time, sitting next to you and scooting his chair inwards to the table.

"I hope you're hungry, sweetie. Are you feeling any better since this morning?" Mrs. Wheeler implies as she sits down in the seat next to Hollys seat, glancing between you and her.

You nod your head, probably a little too much to try to make it seem believable.

"Uh, yes! I am, thank you Mrs. Wheeler. And I appreciate you letting me stay here. I'm sorry for always intruding," you apologize as you poke the full plate of food in front of you, your eyes staring blankly at it.

"Oh honey it's no problem. Besides, Nancy and Steve are going over to Barbs house to check on them and my husband is still at work, so we have plenty to go around," Mrs. Wheeler dismisses with a soft grin and a warm smile as she feeds Holly.

Holly giggles and waves at you as she chews on the mashed potatoes her mother just gave her. You wave back slightly as you start eating.

Mike had begun eating his own meal, pausing sometimes to just poke at his food. He seems to be distracted.

Mrs. Wheeler notices and brings up a new conversation.

"Hey, I want you to gather some stuff for that yard sale this weekend," Mrs. Wheeler orders as she looks at Mike with a side glance and raised brows.

"Okay," Mike mumbles with a shrug, still poking at his food.

"Two boxes," Mrs. Wheeler finishes, giving Holly another spoonful of food.

"Two boxes?!" Mike exclaims, causing you to choke on the water you drink, trying not to spit it out from laughing.

"Yes, because you stole some of your sisters money. I expect two full boxes," Mrs. Wheeler confirms as she uses Hollys spoon to point at Mike, waving it towards him mindlessly.