23

Charlotte's POV:

Charlotte's POV:

"Please don't think differently of me." I beg Sweet Pea quietly, as we sit in a booth at Pop's, that finally reopened just a few days ago.

He frowns and reaches over the table to grab my hand. "Nothing you tell me will ever change my mind about you, you should know that by now."

I take a deep breath. "I-I was adopted." His eyes widen at my words. Nobody knows that except for me, Betty, and my mom...and now Sweet Pea. "I was put in the foster care system when I was five. My biological parents...they hated me." I feel tears forming in my eyes as I think about them and what they did to me. "They were abusive, and my neighbors at the time found out and called the police." I quickly wipe away the tears that have fallen. "They walked in on me being beaten half to death."

Sweet Pea suddenly stands up and sits on my side of the booth. He wraps his arm around me and pulls me into his chest. "I'm so sorry." He mumbles against the top of my head.

I shake my head. "Don't be. I got lucky." He pulls back and wipes away the rest of my tears. "I was only in foster care for about a year and a half before the Cooper's found me. They took me in."

He smiles slightly. "Well they're lucky to have you." He leans down to kiss my forehead. "So am I."

His words make me smile and I wrap my arms around his waist for a hug.

[WEDNESDAY]

Recently, i've noticed that Betty's been acting weird. She goes out a lot and is always checking her phone.

"Juggie!" I call out once I spot him.

I've been looking for him to ask if he knows anything about Betty.

He looks up from the book in his hand and smiles.
"Hey Lottie.

I walk up to him and give him a quick hug. "Have you noticed anything off about Betty recently?" I ask, getting straight to the point.

His eyebrows furrow. "Now that I think about it, yeah."

My eyes widen. "Do you know why?"

He frowns and shakes his head. "No. I haven't really questioned it until now. I thought it was just Betty being Betty."

I shuffle on my feet. "W-Well do you think you could ask her about it? I've tried but she just brushes me off. I'm really worried about her and I just don't want anything to happen to her, you know? So if-"

Jughead cuts off my rambling. "Charlotte, don't worry." He places his hand on my shoulders. "I'll talk to her about it after school and tell you if she says anything."

I sigh in relief. "Thanks Juggie." I pull him in for another hug.

Someone clears their throat and we pull away to see Sweet Pea. He's looking between the two of us with his jaw clenched.